fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

New Zealand Back Country Discovery route

Home Forums Riding Where to ride New Zealand Back Country Discovery route

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

In America especially as Adventure Riding has gained popularity in the last few years there are many areas where local riders have put together a ‘Back Country Route’, a route crossing the area that avoids sealed roads where possible and showcases all the best riding each area has to offer.

Here’s a video showing the Arizona Back Country Route.

Is it possible to do this in New Zealand at a North and South Island level? Can we make a track to take riders, especially international visitors from one end of the country to another?

If this can be developed we can post an ongoing map here to work out ideas of how it could be done.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

From the top of the North Island, down 90 Mile Beach to Ahipara is obviously the best place to start. Then there re must be some good gravel roads from near Ahipara to near Rawene where riders could catch the ferry across the Hokianga Harbour.

From Rawene there’s some nice gravel down to the Brynderwyns, but from there down to south of Auckland things get awkward.

Hobbyhorse
    Participant
    • Bike: 2014 BMW G650GS

There is gravel for much of the way from Wellsford to Riverhead.

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

From the north side of the Brynderwyns you can get to SH1 about 3km north of Te Hana on gravel using Waipu Gorge road and then Mountain road. From Wellsford to Kaukapakapa it should also be pretty easy to stay on gravel. The bit that is a bit of an unknown to me is the Eastern side of SH1 from Te Hana to Wellsford. I,ll do some exploring up this way when I can and hopefully others can shed some light about the roads in this area also?

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Great news. Checked it out today and managed to ride at least 85% of the distance on gravel from Kaiwaka to Wellsford. Here’s the route.

From Mangakino, exit Mountain Road (gravel) on to SH1, turn right and head approximately 3km south to the township of Kaiwaka.
    Here you can refuel your bike and tummy (or empty it) before heading South East to Wellsford mainly on gravel.
    As you are heading up the hill out of Kaiwaka take the first road on your right called Settlement Road which is gravel all the way to Valley Road junction where you turn right.
    (insert pic Valley Rds)
    Only one kilometre down the road turn right and keep following Valley Road.
    (insert pic Valley Rd)
    Again not much further on, turn right in to Pritchard Road.
    (insert pic Valley and Pritchard Rds)
    This is where you start to climb and leave civilisation behind.
    (insert pics Pritchard Rd 1 and Pritchard Rd 2)
    As you round a 180 degree bend at the top of the hill you will now be on Ryan Road and have a great North East view to Mangawhai Heads.
    (insert pic of Ryan Rd 1)
    The road starts to widen as you descend the south side of the range, and then it’s tar seal where you turn left on to Waiteitei Road.
    (insert pic of Ryan Rd 2)
    This sealed road ambles for what must be three to four kilometres and is actually quite a nice ride. Tell your road biker mates. Then you need to turn right in to Farmers Lime Road to find more gravel.
    Farmers Lime Road connects ups to Worthington Road which then pops on Matheson Road less the one km from Wellsford centre.
    (insert pic Worthington Road 1)
    Turn right and head west up the hill and you have arrived in Wellsford.

I’ll add the pictures I took after making them less than 500kb each at work tomorrow – in my lunch hour of course!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Cheers, Scott, I intend on breaking this down into sections so it can be more easily looked at, and local knowledge like that really helps make it.

When I get a chance I’ll mark that up over a google map so it can be seen and reviewed.

Scott Livingston
    Participant

…..and last two pics.

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Here are the pics starting in order from Kaiwaka to Wellsford…….

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Here are the pics from Kaiwaka to Wellsford…….

glitch_oz
    Participant

Rode a few stretches of the OBCDR (Oregon Back Country Discovery Route), one of the first 3 that popped up in the US about 2010 or so…it was a hoot! The Yanks really got their stuff together documenting the route, binding in business and accom/supplies/fuel stops and endless other things along the way is just fabulous !!

.Unlike us Aussies, who’ve been yapping away at this for years…. and coming up with absolutely nothing.
    The TAUT (Trans Australia Track) GPS thingo on ADVrider is an piss-poor shambles of willynilly GPS files without any structure or thought behind it.

Josh and his Rmoto South Island site are GOLD, though still missing some sort of continuous track/ route to follow….the “trans”-theme is missing.
    (not that I mind, as I’m happy to transfer all those tracks and routes onto paper maps, then stitch a day-route according to weather / conditions etc. myself, on the day, without the need for GPS or such).

An NZBCDR would be AWESOME!
    And documenting it the way you’re doing it here (and Rmoto) with description, maps and pics is the ONLY way to go (another thing the Aussies should learn!!)

Hope to add a few little roads and connectors soon after the imminent Northland caper.

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

Ok Guys,

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a very long time, and finally started, here you have my first attempt at a NZBCDR this first track is Cape Reinga to Auckland.
    I’ll start on the Auckland Wellington section this weekend.

Feel free to improve the track. It is not to “direct” as I wanted to get as much offroad as possible. The sources are our recently completed map of all unsealed roads of NZ and Wams mostly to check for access.
    I may have mistakes and have not ridden the track yet. I’f anyone is keen to do it let me know and we can organise a ride one of these days.

Enjoy, Cheers

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

Keen. I think if we approached this logically, us Northerners could put the northern route together, jaffas to the waikato, and so on. Weather just getting good now for dust-less gravel riding 🙂

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Yeah I only really got any interest from northerners so let it go.

Badjelly
    Participant

Happy to help as time allows (central Auckland based)

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 R1200GSA, 2018 1090R

As a long time contributor to NZ Open GPS project (free maps for Garmin), I’d suggest starting there. Get the knowledge of gravel/sealed roads down on the maps and it would make it easier to start planning something?

Once you get past Auckland you’d also have to decide roughly whether west coast, more central or east is the best option. Ultimately though, you don’t want to be jumping around the countryside just to get that little bit in, as it’s traversing a country, you’d always miss a little bit here or there. Or have add-ons from a core route (so say, the core goes down the centre, with add-ons either side?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.