No products in the cart.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Going for a ride in Northland? Post your plans here so other local riders can join in.

To get a notification every time someone posts in this thread press the subscribe button at the top of the first post on the page.

Chris McKinnon – Topher
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 R1200GS, 2006 F650GS Dakar, TY175 JE

Riding north from hams next Wednesday morning – Mangawai or thereabouts Wednesday night, Ohaewai Thursday, Kaitaia Friday and perhaps Saturday, Dargaville or Kaukapakapa the next night then home. Rding coast roads and coasts.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

Thought Id post this here…
    Went away for a couple of days and explored the area around Parua Bay, Whangarei Heads, Pataua North. Great roads (all sealed) Mount Tiger Road, Pataua North Road, Oakleigh Paparaoa Road and SH16 back home.

marcro
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R

You would have ridden past my place, lots of good gravel to the north and inland. I am currently trying to join up a few gravel roads using the inevitable paper road extensions around the Whangarei area.Proving to be an interesting challenge.

MC

OldBeer
    Participant

yes a beautiful part of NZ and especially this time of year. We used to go to Oakura for holidays when the kids were little. The road round the coast was gravel then but I think it’s all sealed now. Next place to check out is Whananaki, never been there.

marcro
    Participant

North and south are separated by an estuary (watch out for Winston P he’s on the south side). Easy to to both one after the other. Great camping ground on the coast 1/2 km north of the northern side of the estuary Motutara Farm. There is also a DOC camp right on the beach just north at Otamuri Bay. If you run inland from Whananaki North there is an awesome stretch of gravel that runs up to the DOC farm park at Mimiwhangata…..another great spot.

MC

marcro
    Participant

The end of another Northland Road.

Attachments:

James Gibbings
    Participant

Nice shot, where is that? I’m Northland based.

marcro
    Participant

Taiharuru Head, its all Maori land around the end of the road however it is a public road to the council signpost.

OldBeer
    Participant

Hi all you Northlanders, I’m thinking of heading up to do some gravel bashing in and around Puketi/Mangonui/Peria area when I get a clear (weather) weekend. Would be great to catch up for a coffee or a beer if anyone is free. I’ll post here as plans firm up.
    Cheers

OldBeer
    Participant

Didn’t hear from anyone on here but had a great time between SH10 and SH1. Some very nice roads in there. There was lots of water about but the roads were mostly OK. Definitely (another) place I need to go back to and spend more time exploring.

OldBeer
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.