NZBCDR

Forums Forums Riding Places to ride NZBCDR

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, CB500X

Well that was fun.
    I left home at 0720, was at the Pink Pig by 0900. Morrinsville by 12.00 and Tauranga by just after 2.00. So Google is pretty much spot on.

The best bit was undoubtedly the Matahuru Road and gravel pass over the top of the hill. I tried the Mangawara road but could only get half way as its closed off for logging. But the bit up the first hill was fun…

I took Top Road and Old Hill Road to Morrinsville and the Kiwitahi Railway Road to Matamata

Lovely small country roads, you can see the trucks rumbling down SH27 to your left as you burble down to Morrinsville.

Not very adventurous maybe (except for the Matahuru bit) but very nice and off the beaten track. Will post some pictures when I get back. And no GPS track, phone runs out too fast. I bought a charger but ran out of time to fit it to the bike. But will be going again so no worries.

So thanks @glitch_oz, nice route.

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite>@oldbeer said:</cite>
    Well that was fun.
    The best bit was undoubtedly the Matahuru Road and gravel pass over the top of the hill. I tried the Mangawara road but could only get half way as its closed off for logging. But the bit up the first hill was fun…
    So thanks @glitch_oz, nice route.

No sweat…
    Happy to hear you’ve had a good time…give Mangawara another go, I’m sure you’ll like it, too.
    Nothing spectacular, but pretty much the best there is in the general area.
    🙂
    (yes, done quite a few others around there….)

OldBeer
    Participant

So this route through central Waikato went very well on the way down. I decided to leave on Thursday as weather looked to be packing up at the end of the trip and I didn’t want to miss out on any riding. I broke the trip in Tauranga, but as it turned out it would be easy to do this and still get to Whakatane in one day.

All of the back roads were interesting, scenic and a lot quieter than the main roads.

The route through the Hunuas made a nice change. I didnt do any side trips to the dams but I would have had plenty of time.

Some of the roads were quite narrow, there was the odd stretch of gravel, Matahuru Road was a highlight. I’ve go some video of that I will post when I have done some editing. Old Hill Road was another treat. On this one you can look down onto SH27 and see the trucks rumbling down the road.

Mangawara didn’t work as they were logging in there. Had it been a weekend and if the gate had not been closed…. The ride up to the closed section and back down again was a hoot anyway.

Everything got very adventurous once I got to Whakatane but that’s another story.

OldBeer
    Participant

Here’s a little vid of Matahuru Road. Its well worth the time and trouble if you are heading down that way

OldBeer
    Participant

Well its been a month or so since I last posted in there so in case anyone is wondering here is a bit of an update.

We have Northland sorted thanks to @jonibarteam and @enduro0627.
    Auckland south through Waikato, I have some ideas…[email protected] was going to give me some pointers – any thoughts yet Eddie?
    Bay of Plenty – @brainflex is hopefully putting some tracks together
    Hawkes Bay – @NightFalcon is I think about to go into hospital for an op (good luck Marty!) and will be looking at routes to while away the time flat on his back.
    Taranaki is sorted from Piopio through to Stratford.
    Points south of there down to Wellington is in @stephen-clark capable hands but he is in or just coming back from a South Island trip with his sidecar mates.

So while not much to show at this stage, some progress is hopefully being made.

Time for another get together Joao and Andrew? Let me know if you are keen.
    Cheers

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250

Yep, tracks are sorted in my head but not down any where as I am flat out with work at the moment. It will happen soon.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

What ideas did Brainflex etc have for after Waikato?

I think really in the Waikato in terms of putting together a constant route then down the east coast from Port Waikato to Kawhia is the only way to go, everywhere else is very segmented with big sections of seal involved. After that I was thinking of something like crossing Eastover to Murapara to join up with the Lake Waikaremoana road.

glitch_oz
    Participant

To me it make some sense to actually run with the topography and available routes of the NI.
    Looking at the shape, it’s a narrow top+bottom with a fat gut (pretty much like myself).

One basic route from Cape Reinga south to about Clevedon,
    then an
    a) West….Western Waikato -> Naki ->cut east towards Woodville as the WestCoast doesn’t offer much towards Welly
    b) Central….Eastern Waikato like Pironga/Kaimango rd /Hauturu rd etc. all gravel to Piopio-Ohura ->
    plenty of gravel choices towards Tongarito from there -> Whanganui River Rd. or Whangaehu Vly and all its choices towards Papanui Jcn-> Hunterville->Woodville to join with option a) and c)

c) East….Skirt Hunua + Coro, Port Jackson anyone? -> lots of choices around Rotorua to link with SH38, SH2 or Motu + East Cape -> Hawkes Bay-> bounce south between the SH2 and the coast from Hastings to Cape Palliser…..

picking up routes a) + b) around Weber or Pongaroa or so.

One route each for the north+south, 3 down the middle.
    Whoever wants to, can zip down the east, run back up the centre, then run south again in the west to catch the ferry to Picton. 🙂

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks all for responses. All options are on the table at the moment.

General idea had been a “top to bottom” route with lots of side options or loops. For example if you down the west coast of Waikato then it will go past Pirongia. A loop round the mountain can be an optional extra.

Or we can do the zigzag thing…

So Eddie if you read Brainflex post he hasn’t sent anything yet. Why don’t you focus on a west route as you know those roads well. Finish in Piopio as that’s where the Naki section begins.

I will work in a possible eastern route or loop to join up with whatever Brain flex and night Falcon come up with.

Until we have everything on the table it’s too soon to pick a final route.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.