No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Gear Onboard winch, the ultimate in self recovery?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Young 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I stumbled across these pics a few days ago

It turns out Warn Industries make a winch unit specifically for motorcycles which weighs 3.8kg, can pull 770kg and carries 12.19 metres of synthetic rope. The Warn winch is powered by a 12volt, .4hp, electric motor and requires a 12 amp/hour minimum battery for winching.

I know @Matt-Kerr played around with one a few years ago, has anyone else tried a winch on a motorcycle?

Dave Young
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 50 SX

I’ll just throw this video into the mix — “How to use a motorcycle winch” with Bret Tkacs over on his MOTOTREK YouTube channel.

Feral Matt
    Participant

Yep, I played around with a boat winch. Winching is inherently dangerous and it can be quite a handful, but it was an interesting experiment.

MXNUT
    Participant
    • Bike: Husqvarna 701 E

Is it kind of fitting that the winch is mounted to a BMW ???

Dave Young
    Participant

A year or so back I saw a YouTube video of Chris Birch demonstrating a last resort/emergency winch system using a length of tape-rope with a small hook placed into the the rear wheel (between the brake rotor and the spokes presumably) then using the front forks as a guide with the other end of the rope anchored to a tree/suitable object. By carefully controlling the clutch and very slowly turning the rear wheel the rope wound onto the wheel hub inching the bike up the hill.

Edit: Found the video — “Greens Mountain KTM 1290 ADV R

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Here’s a manual version of a self recovery winch setup

Dave Young
    Participant

@eddieb Wow, good find Eddie. Having wasted a lot of energy and time trying to liberate a stranded bike on a solo ride that recovery system is exactly what I’m looking for. I reckon it’s the prefect size to carry on any trip.

Here’s the link to the Green Chile Adventure Gear website and their Z-Drag Recovery System: https://greenchileadv.com/products/gcag-z-drag-recovery-system

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.