fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Onboard winch, the ultimate in self recovery?

Home Forums General Discussion Gear Onboard winch, the ultimate in self recovery?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I stumbled across these pics a few days ago

It turns out Warn Industries make a winch unit specifically for motorcycles which weighs 3.8kg, can pull 770kg and carries 12.19 metres of synthetic rope. The Warn winch is powered by a 12volt, .4hp, electric motor and requires a 12 amp/hour minimum battery for winching.

I know @Matt-Kerr played around with one a few years ago, has anyone else tried a winch on a motorcycle?

Dave Young
    Participant
    • Bike: KLX150L, R1200GS

I’ll just throw this video into the mix — “How to use a motorcycle winch” with Bret Tkacs over on his MOTOTREK YouTube channel.

Feral Matt
    Participant

Yep, I played around with a boat winch. Winching is inherently dangerous and it can be quite a handful, but it was an interesting experiment.

Adventure Moto
    Participant
    • Bike: Husqvarna 701 E

Is it kind of fitting that the winch is mounted to a BMW ???

Dave Young
    Participant

A year or so back I saw a YouTube video of Chris Birch demonstrating a last resort/emergency winch system using a length of tape-rope with a small hook placed into the the rear wheel (between the brake rotor and the spokes presumably) then using the front forks as a guide with the other end of the rope anchored to a tree/suitable object. By carefully controlling the clutch and very slowly turning the rear wheel the rope wound onto the wheel hub inching the bike up the hill.

Edit: Found the video — “Greens Mountain KTM 1290 ADV R

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Here’s a manual version of a self recovery winch setup

Dave Young
    Participant

@eddieb Wow, good find Eddie. Having wasted a lot of energy and time trying to liberate a stranded bike on a solo ride that recovery system is exactly what I’m looking for. I reckon it’s the prefect size to carry on any trip.

Here’s the link to the Green Chile Adventure Gear website and their Z-Drag Recovery System: https://greenchileadv.com/products/gcag-z-drag-recovery-system

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.