September 26, 2015 at 10:31 pm #9842
Rank: 650cc Rider
- Bike: 2016 Africa Twin
Currently in the early planning stages for a trip from Hamilton down to the South Island and back in early January. 3 bikes going, I’m taking my KLR650, one mate is taking his Triumph Scrambler, and another mate (flying in from Aussie) will be hiring something, hopefully another KLR650.
The plan is to have 6 days in South Island.
At the moment only have the first few rides planned:
- Day 1
- Picton to Blenheim via Port Underwood Road
- Taylor Pass
- The Molesworth (with side trip on Mt Altimarloch)
- Stay overnight in Hamner Springs
- Day 2
- Edwards Valley
- The Rainbow Road
I know a few of you did a “South Island Invasion” a few years back, and I’d love it if someone could provide the details on route, accommodation, tips and tricks etc from that ride?
Any other advise would be very welcome, any tips on not-to-be-missed rides, anything at all, please fire it my way 🙂September 27, 2015 at 9:32 am #9845
Rank: 1200cc Rider
- Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV
I organised the last South Island invasion, give me a day or 2 for details.September 28, 2015 at 10:25 pm #9858
Rank: 50cc Rider
First post here, just checking things out. I’m planning a trip around Jan / Feb next year. This is what I have so far:
Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Or, I hope it helps you.
DanSeptember 29, 2015 at 12:18 am #9859
Rank: 1000cc Rider
- Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure
– 2 off shoots from Rainbow, Edwards and Maling, plus Lake Tennyson (only a km or 2 to lake edge).
– Lees Valley / Okuku Pass (just north of Oxford)
– Kinda the whole Sounds between Picton and Nelson (or just scoot through to French Pass and back)
– Hakataramea and Danseys Pass
– Old Dunstan Rd
– Nevis Rd
– Skippers Rd
While sealed, still awesome roads (don’t know if you’ve ever been)
– Buller Gorge
– Karamea (can include a side trip to Denniston – or even that track if it’s open… quite rough I believe)
– West coast pretty much from Westport to Wanaka
– Milford Sounds
Otherwise, the tracks on this here very website is a good starting point, or check out http://www.remotemoto.com
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.