fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Pohangina Valley / Ridge Rd – 13th Jan 19

Home Forums Sidecars Sidecar Rides & Events Pohangina Valley / Ridge Rd – 13th Jan 19

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wellington
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

First full week back at work Monday, & by Tuesday I was already planning a bike ride for the weekend. The weather forecast for Sunday was spotless. I may have mentioned this to Mrs Box.a.bits, & suddenly we were committed to taking her to PNth to a family function at the out-laws. But in the sidecar was okay – the Subaru has been out of action since prior to Xmas – waiting on parts.

Of course once you’ve committed to something like that the weather forecast immediately changes. And the agreed pre 9.00am start magically became a 9.30 am start, & of course there’ll be a compulsory coffee stop on the way up.

I got to act as a wind sock heading up the motorway. Fun times. A few showers swirled through, but mainly missed us. However the weather improved the further north we went.

Coffee at the Museum Cafe, between Levin & Shannon. The scone came with jam & cream. Mmmm…

A bit of rain on warm ground just before Tokomaru – we just missed any precipitation, but just got the benefits. You know that warm moist alive smell just after summmer rain?

Did a drop & dash at the out-laws at 12.30, & headed out Pohangina Valley West Rd. Quite a bit of cloud on Takapari Rd, & there’d been showers through earlier. No real rush to the day, minimal dust once I hit gravel. And the weather continued to improve. But I decided not to do Takapari, as the potential combo of wind & rain didn’t appeal.

No action shots from here – hard to do when you’re on your own.

Was quite surprised by this bridge. Obviously new. But the deck is steel sprayed over with bitumen. With holes to let the water through. Seemed… temporary.

Glamour shot…

Instead headed up to Apiti – had chilli sandwiches sitting in the bus stop, then hit Ridge Rd back to Pohangina. Saw 27 & 28 degrees round there.

They’ve been logging at the Pohangina end of Ridge Rd – some potholes & corrugations forming, especially going down Finnis Rd

Back to PNth, & fueled up to avoid a re run of the Otaki embarrassment from the last ride home from PNth. The jetting I’ve done has improved mileage – from 10kms/litre to 12 kms/litre. The R80 got 14kms/litre on the same motor. More work needed, but headed in the right direction.

Queues before Otaki, & at MacKays crossing. But no where near as bad as last time. Fish & chips at the beach at Plimmerton.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.