No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Gear PORTABLE battery jumper booster for touring??

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

Hi all,

I’ve seen plenty of them, and I know the antigravity XP-10 or XP-1 is a well supported unit…but it’s pretty expensive AND i expect the technology from asia anyway. So does anyone have a recommendation for a truly small yet powerful (at least 400a) portable battery jumper/booster that isn’t crap and isn’t big?? So far all I’ve found is this:

i’m after a small unit, like 300g or less in weight, because space is at a premium. but no point if it don’t work! So spend up on proven or save money on possibly the same tech in a much more affordable package? I’m leaning towards spending less.

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Do you run out of battery often? I don’t think I’ve ever had it happen.

I guess you can’t jump start a modern fuel injected bike?

octopusenvy
    Participant

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    Do you run out of battery often? I don’t think I’ve ever had it happen.

I guess you can’t jump start a modern fuel injected bike?

why can’t u jump start a modern fuel injected bike? or did u mean bump start?

i’ve only had one situation with a weak battery and i survived (wasnt my bike or battery and it was only weak on the last day). but these little power packs can jump lots of vehicles recharge everything, and don’t take up too much space. Without a kick-start, I like to know I can get the bike going in case something drains the battery and I’m caught out in the middle of nowhere. Best one I’ve found so far is the NOCO Genius GB40, but it will cost just a hair under 100USD (145nzd). Its a whopping 1000A and quite small too though, so you could save a lot of people over a long period of time since it’s lithium and won’t drain.

Noco Genius GB40

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Yeah good point about the charging anything. I’d like to be able to easily charge GPS & phone batteries on the go. The phone is easy but AA batteries not so much.

octopusenvy
    Participant

145nzd is plenty of money in the NoCo one…or 50nzd in a smaller one. I think I might try the smaller one? But I’d certainly prefer the lithium 1000amp beastie!

I need one of our containers to sell, then I’ll have some breathing room to shop more. Just recently bought: new xchallenge in the states for touring the Rockies and the Americas (4500nzd), Klim Latitude Jacket (300usd/435nzd), some US Marines goretex overpants (20usd), GS-911 BMW diagnostic tool (200usd/300nzd), MEC 2man tent (70usd/100nzd), Nolan n103 locally (80nzd only), and still need a better air mattress, some really good gore tex boots (maybe Sidi Canyons?), likely a 200usd/300nzd spare gas tank, several spares for the bike (easy 200usd), and then spending cash. Sheesh it adds up quick, even when I’m getting bargains. Just have to decide where to compromise…

Eddieb
    Keymaster

That’s a lot of recent purchases.

Off on a tangent, would one of those 1000A chargers provide any useful charging for a e-bike to get a bit of extra distance/emergency reserve charge?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.