Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

Forums Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 104 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

A random collection of pics, thoughts and writeups as I get out and about, and mods on the mighty DR.

Jennifer & friends on a ride out in the Waikato back roads yesterday

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Lots of bikes out at Raglan today,

including some a bit different

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The DR got a new WOF last week, it’s first year long WOF under the new rules woohoo!

As my health is improving it was back on the bike for some random left/right/left/right backroads north out of Hamilton.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’m in Hahei for a few days, in the car unfortunately.

On the way over we ran into Chris who was heading up the Coromandel for a weekend of camping off the bike.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I got out on the sidecar today and found some vacant land with long wet grass to do a few skids on.

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Had a good ride yesterday, it was Jennifers first ride after a layoff due to surgery. We did the seal from Hamilton to Pirongia then looped around Te Awamutu, Cambridge and Eureka back to home.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve changed 2 tyres by hand in the last 2 days. One 14″ for the youngest’s little Suzuki DS80, and a 21″inch for teh front of Jennifer’s DR250.

I got some new tyre spoons a month or so ago on special and they are so much better than the tyre destroyer levers I had. Many thanks to @james-williams for the tyre changing lesson in Motueka many years ago.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I got out for about 90 minutes tonight, did Old Mountain Road and Waitetuna Valley.

Waitetuna Valley Road

There was some weather coming in, I got a little damp

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

These roads are definitely now on the to do list. Thanks for sharing the pics Edward.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Waitetuna Valley Road is slowly being sealed, it looks like about 2km has been done in the last week, the seal was still fresh and hadn’t been swept or anything yet.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Had a nice ride out to Raglan today, however the local council out there has decided that anyone not parking in a designated carpark will get a ticket. As all the car & bike parks were full we parked on the grassed central medium strip as we do most times and almost immediately a parking warden starter to write us a ticket, other bikes further down also got the same treatment.

Raglan has always been quite bike friendly but it seems this has now changed, given there is only 1 motorcycle park which would hold 4 bikes at the most getting a park is now unlikely.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Looks like it’s time to reverse the DR650’s front tyre

Eddieb
    Keymaster

We were in Rotorua this weekend for a friends wedding. On the way we stopped at the Cabbage Tree Cafe in Tirau, excellent food and I’m informed the best Latte Jennifer has ever had.

While there we made our mark on the way under the TV

Eddieb
    Keymaster

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    Looks like it’s time to reverse the DR650’s front tyre

No adventures this weekend but I did reverse the front tyre to get some extra life out of it. It’s weird but that excessive wear has only occured around about 1/4 of the tyre circumference.

I’ve also dropped the rear shock to the lower setting and I’ll be adjusting the front to suit. After getting the rear shock re valved the bike sits a lot higher than a stock DR, probably about 4cm which is about the difference between the standard and lowered shock settings, so dropping it brings it roughly back to standard height. With the riding I am doing I don’t need that extra clearance and it will make it a little easier to get on and off and to get my feet on the ground.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

It was a nice day today, too nice to be in the office so I took a late lunch and did a quick lap of Old Mountain Road. For something different I rode it in the opposite direction than usual, from the Raglan end back towards Hamilton, which made it feel like a completely new road.

The obligitory tank traps stop

Looking back towards Hamilton from Old Mountain Road summit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.