Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

Forums Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 104 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Got out for a ride again yesterday and did Ohiniwai Road followed by Waiti Road.

The first time I did Ohiniwai Road was in the dark so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in daylight yesterday, it’s quite scenic. I’ve added some pics to the Ohiniwai Road page.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Garage time tonight, it had been suggested that my bike was running lean, which I could easily believe so I pulled the needle out of the FCR39 and dropped it one position to raise the needle slightly. The needle was on the 3rd clip down with a .5mm spacer washer under that, and I shifted it to the 4th clip, keeping the spacer there also.

I also need to get a gasket so I can fix my leaking Cam Chain Tensioner

awa355
    Participant
    • Bike:

I was in Mitre 10 here in Te A yesterday and saw a brand range of tools on display. Among them was a packaged pair of tyre levers about 40cm long. They were labeled ‘Motorcycle Tyre Levers’. All the branded tools had blue packaging. Will have another look next time.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@oldone said:
    I was in Mitre 10 here in Te A yesterday and saw a brand range of tools on display. Among them was a packaged pair of tyre levers about 40cm long. They were labeled ‘Motorcycle Tyre Levers’. All the branded tools had blue packaging. Will have another look next time.

I have 2 sets of tyre levers, one set is fairly solid and straight with a hook on the end and the others end in a spoon shape. The spoon shaped tyre levers are a million times better. One set destroys the tyre on removing, the other set removes the tyre whole.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Took the bike for a spin yesterday with the raised needle. It’s removed the backfiring on deceleration and smoothed out the power delivery all the way through, especially at lower revs so it looks like @facebook-michael-eastwood1 was right.

My cam chain tensioner gasket is on it’s way so I’m thinking while I’m doing that I might pull the exhaust and the carb and fit a 150 main jet as I’m currently running a 145, and finish off removing the exhaust header weld now that I have a dremel as when i first did it I left a bit in there.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The first bits have arrived for a bit of a birthday for the bike

Eddieb
    Keymaster

A 150 jet for an FCR39 carb, is that a DJ 150 or do I need a Keihin one?

@nordieboy?

NordieBoy
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Sounds like genuine Keihin.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Starting on the DR’s big birthday today seeing as it’s not riding weather outside.

Chain and Sprockets
    Oil and Filter
    Cam Chain tensioner gasket
    150 main jet for the FCR39 carb
    Knobbly tyre

Plus I’ll be making some tuning changes to the pumper setup in the FCR39 carb to change how that kicks in.
    Clean the airfilter.
    Raise the front forks through the clamps by about a cm to match changes made to the rear shock setup recently.
    Remove part of my makeshift screen.
    Grind down the remainder of the exhaust weld now that I have a dremel.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The chain was POKED!

The front sprocket was fairly hooked as well

The rear sprocket was starting to hook but it’s actually done about 10,000km less than the front sprocket.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve been plugging away at things over the past few days and got a few things sorted.

Chain and Sprockets – Old ones removed but still some cleaning up to do before the new ones go on
    Oil and Filter
    Cam Chain tensioner gasket – Done
    150 main jet for the FCR39 carb -Done
    Knobbly tyre -Done

Plus I’ll be making some tuning changes to the pumper setup in the FCR39 carb to change how that kicks in. – Done
    Clean the airfilter.
    Raise the front forks through the clamps by about a cm to match changes made to the rear shock setup recently. – Done
    Remove part of my makeshift screen. – Done
    Grind down the remainder of the exhaust weld now that I have a dremel. – Done

Thanks to @david-goodwin the rear tyre is now fitted to the rim but I haven’t yet put it back on the bike, Jennifer’s DR250 also now has a more gravel friendly rear tyre fitted that we got from @Dean Saunders a little while ago in exchange for a tyre we have that didn’t fit any of our current bikes.

The cam chain tensioner is done, the old gasket was a b*tch to get off, it took longer to scrape the old gasket off that it did to do the entire rest of the job including removing the exhaust header and oil lines etc.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I also checked the valve clearances seeing as I had the valve covers of to find TDC, one exhaust valve was a little tight but the other was ok, and both inlet valves were ok.

Seeing as I had the header pipe off I gave that a good sand with some wet and dry and hit it with a coat of UHT paint as the original finish was quite chipped. I’ll probably do another coat on that before it goes back on.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

My sidecar buddy

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@eddieb said:
    I’ve been plugging away at things over the past few days and got a few things sorted.

Chain and Sprockets – Done
    Oil and Filter – Done
    Cam Chain tensioner gasket – Done
    150 main jet for the FCR39 carb -Done
    Knobbly tyre -Done

Plus I’ll be making some tuning changes to the pumper setup in the FCR39 carb to change how that kicks in. – Done
    Clean the airfilter.
    Raise the front forks through the clamps by about a cm to match changes made to the rear shock setup recently. – Done
    Remove part of my makeshift screen. – Done
    Grind down the remainder of the exhaust weld now that I have a dremel. – Done

All done, and the header was repainted while it was off, though it seems the ‘High temperature paint’ I was sold isn’t high enough as it’s all bubbling off and the heat shield was repainted.

I found a bit of gunk on the magnetic sump plug when I removed it, how worried should I be?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@roodyblues was nice enough to give me a version of the DR650 $6 Windscreen after the Central Plateau ride.

I did a test run with it a few weeks ago and found it worked pretty well however I got a bit of turbulence. Listing myself up about 2cm meant the helmet was in clear air so I’m going to take 2cm off the top and see how that goes.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.