Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

Forums Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 104 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Over the years my DR has morphed into something a bit more special than a standard DR so I thought I should do a build thread, starting from where she is now.
    I’ve bolted on and replaced so much of it not much is original and it pulls a LOT better than a stock bike, even 2-up with standard 15/41 gearing.

I’ll try and list things.

Revalved rear shock
    Pivot Pegz
    Lowered footpegs
    Frame protectors/heel guards
    Wolfman luggage racks
    GSXR600 exhaust with custom mid pipe
    Pro Moto rear rack
    Home made seat foam (not by me)
    IMS 18l tank
    Opened airbox
    Keihin FCR39 carb
    50mm bar risers
    Aftermarket bars
    DRZ 250 adjustable cartridge forks, with DR650 aftermarket springs
    Aftermarket indicators
    Handguards
    B&B bash plate
    Header pipe weld done
    Some exhaust porting
    $6 windscreen by @roodyblues

A good project however is never finished and while I was away this weekend a new pile of bits magically appeared in the garage that will seriously make over the DR. It looks like I’ll need to put in a serious garage session soon.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

On teh recent Central Plateau ride the rear shock bearings started to squeak to havre to pull the shock and get that sorted also.

bart
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Are the DRZ250 forks an improvement? Are they just ‘bolt on’ or is some modification needed? I need to sort out my forks, but don’t like the idea of mangling things too much or going too hard with full on MX upside down forks.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@bart said:
    Are the DRZ250 forks an improvement? Are they just ‘bolt on’ or is some modification needed? I need to sort out my forks, but don’t like the idea of mangling things too much or going too hard with full on MX upside down forks.

Tough to say whether they are an improvement but they give you built in adjustments. The seller of mine neglected to say that the left damping adjuster was seized at about 1/3 out from the lightest setting so I haven’t been able to get that wound up as much as I’d like.

I rode @Colin Landy’s DR a few years ago and he had harder springs than me and I’m not sure what else in the stock forks and I really liked his setup.

bart
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

I might be best to send mine away and get them rebuilt to my weight and riding style. At least I won’t have to fabricate parts like brake caliber spacers or change the front wheel.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

A very naked DR

and a mockup of what it’s turning in to.

The rear guard has been moved back 6cm to allow the larger seat with suitable pillion seating, an the tank is only sitting in place at present as I’m still getting all the mounts and brackets lined up.

Seat profile

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So she’s altogether with the new setup bar one thing, I need a right hand fuel tap/petcock, anyone know where I can get one?

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Ngaruawahia Sunday afternoon

Attachments:

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I tweaked the fuelling today as the economy has been a bit crap recently and took the bike out for a ride and to fill the tank.

I managed to put 29.3 litres into the 30 lite tank, and I still had several litres before hitting reserve.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

New rear brake pads and a new Mitas E-07 120 / 17 tyre fitted tonight at 31322km’s. The last 120 section 17″ E-07 in NZ.

I’ve got to get my shit together and get my high compression piston in sometime over summer.

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/shop/jepistons/dr650-high-compression-piston/

Eddieb
    Keymaster

More garage time yesterday. The volume of the GSXR 600 35F0 pipe was annoying me so it came off the DR and the TL/SV 1000 02FA pipe went back on.

DR650 with GSXR 600 35F0 pipe

The TL pipe is about a kg heavier than the GSXR pipe and a fair bit longer but my memory says it was quieter so we will see. Also I felt it gave more torque at the bottom end and mid range.

GSXR 600 35F0 vrs TL / SV 1000 02FA exhaust length comparison

The GSXR 600 35F0 pipe has a 40mm outlet where the TL/SV 02FA has a 32mm outlet and the stock pipe I think is 22mm or thereabouts. From what I can see of the internal piping the flow inside is much smaller also.

DR650 with TL / SV 1000 02FA pipe

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The TL pipe is staying. For my particular setup it’s stronger everywhere and is much quieter, especially when backfiring on deceleration.

This means I have a GSXR 600 pipe I no longer require so it will be for sale.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Just refilled the tank after doing about 300km’s with the TL pipe on and my fuel economy has gone up about 1km/litre as well so the change of pipes has been all good.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Some old fork info I re-found about the DR650 fork conversion to DRZ 250 forks.

43mm DRZ250 cartridge forks with adjustable damping and rebound slide straight into the DR650 clamps and use the same axle, spacer, speedo drive and caliper as the 650. However for the wheel and disc you require either the 250 wheel and disc or a brake caliper adapter bracket for the 650 wheel and disc, as the DRZ250 uses a 250mm disc and the DR650 290mm, plus the disc offset is approx 1-2mm different.

I went with my local engineer making up a spacer for the brake caliper to space the caliper out to suit the 650 wheel and disc.

I’m going to change my front fork oil shortly so this video is for my own reference on how to go about it with my forks, the DRZ 400 forks are essentially the same for this purpose.

Oil capacity is 526 ml each fork. That should equal 5.6 in down from the top of the fork.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Our long weekend getaway plans got trashed at the last minute so new plans had to be made. The weather in Tauranga looked better than Hamilton so we loaded up the bikes Saturday night and headed for Tauranga Sunday morning for an overnight trip.

A quick stop in Te Poi

On the beach at Papmoa, you really need to open this one full screen

Coffee stop on the way home in Hobbiton

Giant cows in Te Poi

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.