Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

Forums Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 104 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Adrian
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 DR650

Also your piston has way less carbon build up compared to mine (~16,000k), I wonder how others compare?

Just a note on the notch on the camshaft (because this almost caught me out): When you are reassembling, it should line up precisely, one tooth out on the sprocket still looks like it’s kinda sorta there. If you’re not sure then its easy enough to jump a tooth and you’ll see.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Got the [email protected] using this technique but with a 16mm socket, and it took about 5 seconds with no effort.

@adrianmc0609 said:

Also, I have some tubes of CRC 340 RTV gasket sealant and engine assembly lube. Do you want this (I’m probably not going to use either for a long time).

I bought some gasket sealent on Sunday but the engine assembly lube could be handy. Supercheap didn’t have any when I went in. Could I pick it up tonight?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

My starter has been squealing for a while so I was in there I pulled that and greased the end cap as per the internet brains trust recommendations.

and installed the shiny new piston

Eddieb
    Keymaster

It appears not all DR headers are the same. After Adrian called by with his polished up stainless head I though I’d polish mine, but mine isn’t stainless. After a session with the polishing wheel this was as good as mine got, and it’s obviously not stainless.

Attachments:

Black Betty
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Those polished stainless headers look the bizzo. Something I plan to do on my DR. What year is your DR Eddie? I had thought all DR’s had stainless headers.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Got the DR all back together today. I turned it over a few times by hand and it didn’t make any weird noises so fired her up and away she went. I was well chuffed and relieved as it’s the first time I’ve done any internal motor work. If the weather fines up then tomorrow then I’ll be out for a test run.

@Black betty said:
    Those polished stainless headers look the bizzo. Something I plan to do on my DR. What year is your DR Eddie? I had thought all DR’s had stainless headers.

Mine’s a 2005. I thought they were all stainless as well but obviously not. My bike was originally sold new in Australia, though I wouldn’t have thought that would make any difference.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250

Did you get a ride in? How is it?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I took it out yesterday for a run but was too up so didn’t get to really play with it, but certainly going up some hills and generall acceleration it had plenty of pull and didn’t notice a passenger.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The new piston is running well, it hasn’t turned the bike into a wheelying rocketship with stock gearing but the bottom end and mid range has got a big boost and is really strong. I’ve had my daughter on the back and the bike didn’t notice it, even up hills.

For my own records as much as anything at 35,000km the bike got:
    New High Compression piston and rings – just because
    New head and base gaskets
    New generator cover gasket
    New spark plugs
    New oil and filter
    New front brake pads
    New front brake light switch – the existing one had a loose connection
    Starter motor greased to stop squealing
    Exhaust header repainted – I was going to polish it but it turned out not to be stainless

Adrian
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 DR650

Good stuff getting it back!

Strange hearing about the Exhaust header… I’ll let you know if/ when I upgrade to the cycleworks system.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

More big updates to the DR

I’ve pulled the 250 forks off as the chrome was a little worn, fitted the Eibach springs into the stock forks and put them on the bike. Also made some adjustments to the rear setup so both ends now feel a bit more solid on gravel.

In an effort to reduce wind onto the helmet I also trimmed the screen down a bit more and tonight fitted mirror extenders to move the mirrors out. Most of my helmet noise is caused by wind off the top of the screen and off the inside edge of the mirrors so we’ll see what sort of difference that makes.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The suspension changes and wind reduction have all been good. We did a cruisy ride around Pirongia/Te Awamutu/Kaipaki/Mystery Creek on SUnday and the bike was running sweet.

The girls at the Kaipaki church, Jennifer used to crawl under the pews here when she was very young.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

IF the weather and my health hold out I’m intending on heading from Hamilton up to Spirits Bay, leaving Boxing day and getting back the 29th or 30th.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Did a short ride with the young fella last night just North of Hamilton.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Fork alignment. So I did some mods to my forest a few days ago but when I reassembled everything the forks were out of alignment. Tonight I loosened the bottom clamps, held the front wheel between my knees and gave everything a tweak so it all seems straight but now the forks are binding.
    Does anyone have an easy order to get everything aligned and moving right?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.