Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

Forums Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 104 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Todays ride was impromptu and for an excuse I thought I’d go around the Waikato river dams with various detours on the way as I found them.

Karapiro Dams

Arapuni Dam

Arohena DOC Campground is at the end of a gravel road and looks pretty good.

Waipapa Dam

I’ve got my pictures all mixed up here and I can’t remember which dams this was

What happened to clean green NZ? Disgusting! This was up a pylon track above the dam above

Whakamaru Dam

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Lake Whakamaru Reserve was pretty cool

Atiamuri Dam

Ohakuri Dam

I also discovered Huirimu Road

Dunkirk Road

and Revisted Lake Road

Tracks for all 3 of these will be coming soon.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Took the DR for a road run over to Raglan today with @jake-maryniak. Great ride but when I got home I discovered my number plate light dropped off somewhere on the way.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@douglas_osborne took some video of the mighty DR on the Dyno at BRM recently, his audio came out better than mine.

Posted by Douglas Osborne on Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Today was the first time I’d been able to get out on the bike for 5 weeks, a combination of being ill and far too busy. I wasn’t sure how much I’d be good for so set off for the nearest gravel to see how it would go.

First up was Kneebone Road, not on the website as it’s only short and dead flat and straight.

From there I shot up Uapoto Road before heading through to Tahuna where I found a motorcycle shop I didn’t know about. I left a few ADVNZ cards tucked into the door.

Not far from Tahuna is Old Hill Road which runs along the back of Patetonga, The West end of Waiti Road comes out on Old Hill Road.

After food and a rest stop at the Patetonga Cafe I took Waiti Road back towards Hamilton before reversing this mornings ride back along Uapoto Road.

Waiti Road has recently been graded and some of the corners have thick gravel, also work has been done cutting back a few corners, presumably to allow trucks through.

There were quite a few small slips along Waiti Road.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The weather was pretty crap today but I snuck out and played dodge the rain for a while.

Following the clear patches of sky took me South East of Hamilton around some roads I hadn’t ridden before, all sealed though. I managed to stay dry up until about 10km from home where I could see it was highly unlikely I was going to stay dry. Sure enough 5 minutes after taking this pic I was pretty wet.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Garage time last night, I pulled the rear wheel off to fit a 44 tooth rear sprocket, only to find once I had it all apart that my spare 44 tooth sprocket was in fact 41 tooth, same as stock.

So the chain got a good clean with some petrol while it was easy to get at and the 15 tooth front sprocket came off to be replaced with a 14. We’ll see what fun that makes as since fitting the FCR39 carb and high compression piston I’ve only ever run the bike with stock gearing. It has enough power everywhere as it is.

Oh, and @mark-claasen better watch out, I put a good 5hp worth of stickers on too.

Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike: 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

Just to be fair its seems I need that upgrade too (Stickers), I owe you a visit to pick up stuff anyway (my excuse for not getting there we are doing up our house to sell)

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Another day on the bike, another idiot trying to take me out.

I was sitting in the queue at traffic lights this morning and the idiot in front of me decided to back into me. Fortunately I was straight on and his bumper rolled up over my front tyre but didn’t knock me over.

His excuse was the usual, “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you”.

@Mark Claasen said:
    Just to be fair its seems I need that upgrade too (Stickers), I owe you a visit to pick up stuff anyway (my excuse for not getting there we are doing up our house to sell)

Those swingarm stickers are really old bumper stickers I printed way way back and refound while cleaning, they just cut down enough to fit there.

I was thinking I could bring the tyres up to Miranda when that is scheduled. Just waiting for timing for something in TGA to be confirmed as I need to plan around that.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

First ride out in quite a while.

Uapoto Road was first up to ease my way into things again.

From there I wound my way up to Kaiaua to try out the fish and chips from the shop beside the pub as I’d been told they were good. They lived up to the reputation too.

I’d never ridden around East Coast Road to Clevedon so decided that was todays goal. Some sectoins of the road not far North of Kaiaua are like an adventure ride, there’s been quite a few slips along there which are still being cleaned up and in places the road surface has been torn up quite a lot.

Tepapakanga Regional Park provided a little bit more gravel, some parts of the park seemed to be inaccessible at the moment due to recent weather causing track damage.

Orere point was a nice little settlement, on the main road in someone has a serious front gate.

Waitawa Regional Park was a really nice spot, it looks like there was a some nice walking and mountain biking tracks there, as well as just a nice spot for a picnic. The views were pretty awesome as well.
    The little island in the centre of the picture is Karamuramu Island I think. Not sure whats going on there but there was lots of machinery on the small island and it looked like the sand was being dug up and shipped off the island.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I hadn’t been planning a ride but I was kicked out of the house today and told to go for a ride, I love my wife.

I hadn’t done Klondyke Road for a while so that was first up.

There’s some great views up there.

From there it was on to the Port Waikato dunes, though I didn’t stay there long as it started raining and I didn’t want to get stuck there on my own.

Just South of Mercer of SH1 is something I’ve been meaning to check out for a while. Heading South a set of floodgates over a river can be seen so I wandered up there for a look. The road doesn’t go far but I think there’s still more to be explored just off the road there.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Among other things I’ve been in India recently so no riding has been happening.

I finally got out yesterday to test the suspension and tuning changes I’d made since the previous ride, I removed some of the preload from the front which made a great difference, I suspect a little bit more could come out next time I’m in there but it’s good enough that I’m not going to play with it again at the moment.

I also dropped the needle 1 clip in the carb and that has made the mid range a lot crisper so the ride was fun. No gravel this time, just random back roads I hadn’t ridden before which bought me out by Hobbiton. From there I shot down to the Okoroire Tavern then back home again.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I snuck out again tonight to make the most of the nice long evening, a quick look up Old Mount Road and Waitetuna Valley Road.

Things were a little dicey to start with, Old Mountain Road has recently been graded so has a loose surface to it, which was fun with an over inflated front tyre and a bald rear along with me being out of practise. Once I deflated the front a little things were much better. Some useless scrotes have dumped and burnt a pile of rubbish at the summit.

Waitetuna Valley Road was in good condition and the sun setting at the top gave everything a golden glow.

Stolen cars dumped off the summit of Waitetuna Valley Road

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Another impromptu ride, I thought I was going to be too tired to get out today but a bit after 10am I headed out to see how I’d go.

As it turned out once I’d been out a while the brain switched on and things were going well. First stop was ‘The Nest’ cafe in Pirongia for a snack. Seeing as it was a nice day the cafe was busy and @airborne_arms_co was flat out on the coffee machine.

Next stop was Kawhia, just via the main road which is still a great ride out there. The town was quiet and I sat in the sun on the wharf for a while soaking it in.

From Raglan I headed up the Kawhia to Raglan Road, the gravel was in good condition on the southern half of the road at least. The tide was out and the views were good, I spotted a Aprilia Capanord heading South towards Kawhia on the way through, not a common bike in NZ.

Into Raglan for an ice cream and this UK reg Tenere pulled up ridden by a lady. She had gone walkabout so I didn’t get to talk to her so I left an ADVNZ card on her bike which looked very well travelled.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.