No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie's random adventures and DR650 build thread

This topic contains 126 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 11 hours, 49 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author

MarkH
    Participant
    • Bike: Honda CRF1000LD

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    @michael-eastwood If I’d known you had this on your DR I would have bought it off you before you traded it.

Oh look, that’s my old bike. Yeah, that AE Motorsports dash is really handy, I’ve had to set up something like that on my CRF1000 so that I can charge stuff as I like.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Oh, I thought that was @michael-eastwood‘s old bike but I should be abusing you instead @markh.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The bike is finally back together and ready for business.

So at 45,000km it’s had new fork oil, new MOTUL engine oil and filter and new chain and sprockets.

My DR is a great machine all set up to go anywhere but my health means I can’t use it for what its been built for. I’ll keep riding it but if someone wanted to swap a high mileage Super Tenere for the DR I’d be keen. Something more road orientated would suit the riding I am restricted to now, and I want to go back to a shaft drive.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Took the DR out for a short ride on Sunday, only did about 50km around some local back roads but the change in front fork behavior was noticable.

I had previously changed the fork oil to 15W to see how that performed and that’s definately too hard and makes the ride really harsh, particularly over small bumps. The 10w oil is a huge improvement.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Out for a ride today and saw the giant cow in Morrinsville.

Just up the road is the Tatua Diary Factory with it’s giant can of Diary Whip.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Life’s been quiet of late but I did get down to the 2018 Cold Kiwi Rally this weekend

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So I took the DR over Old Mountain Road last weekend and on the way the External Idle Mixture adjustment screw rattled out of the bottom of the FCR-39 and landed underneath the starter motor so the bike wouldn’t idle and was backfiring badly on deceleration.

I had some energy today so stripped a lot of the bike down to retrieve the lost mixture screw. The starter motor had started to squeal as DR starters tend to do so the exhaust was removed to get the starter out which then got opened up and cleaned out and regreased, while the mixture screw was retrieved along with a pile of small stones.
    The mixture screw spring had disappeared so it’s lucky I ordered a new one a few days ago.

Next up was a carb rejet as the last change I made was as step backwards so the main jet went back to a 150. I also pulled and blew out the idle jet.

@michael-eastwood rode my DR a few weeks back and thought the steering was heavy and that possibly the top steering stem nut was a bit tight. Removing the handle bars to get to it and testing with a torque wrench showed it was set to 60NM, which is what the book says. I undid the nut and retightened it to 40NM anyway to see what it feels like.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.