fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Recommendations on good 6 seater and bike hauler wanted – 4×4?

Home Forums Other stuff Off-topic Recommendations on good 6 seater and bike hauler wanted – 4×4?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

After going away for family Xmas holidays it’s become evident that a Mazda MPV is not enough vehicle for 6 people, 5 of whom are adult sized, and all the related camping paraphernalia so we are considering looking for a replacement.

We’ve looked at 4×4’s after seeing a few at Fletchers Bay and were wondering what peoples opinions were of Toyota Land Cruiser’s or Toyota twin cab ute’s, Mitsubishi Pajero’s, or Isuzu Bighorn’s, all in diesel. Is there anything you’d particular recommend, or recommend to avoid, or got something that may suit that I haven’t mentioned?

Our requirements:

6 seater, with luggage space and able to pull a trailer with 3 bikes
    or
    6 seater and able to carry 2 bikes on board and pull a trailer with luggage and 1 bike
    Able to do the above on gravel roads, nothing rough though
    Probably a diesel
    Max budget about $12k.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Removed User

My Toyota Hiace super custom has just gone on the market. It is 4WD, 3.0 litre turbo. full electrics, 272000km, cam belt all good, wof and reg….
    I am getting rid of it, went down to the car yard this morning to list it on behalf but might sell it privately.
    super comfortable for the whole family, tow bar and sun roofs front and back.
    I think it has just three owners, one for 14 years.
    Better than a ute I reckon. Fully reclining seats too a/c front and rear etc etc…

$7700 and you got change for a holiday again. Buy a trailer to tow behind, a fully lockable one that will take luggage too. Not a silly idea.

Removed User

I went down the same road as you, UTE versus van. I did get a great van, so I reckoned but it turned out to be a big lemon with a great high roof. Sold that and went the comfy way, reliability good re-sale and the luxury of sleeping in it if I want too and also the security of tinted windows, curtains as well. Sliding rear seat makes room for luggage and I think it would seat 8-9 with dog, cat and mother in law…:)

Eddieb
    Keymaster

What was the first van you had, the lemon?

I don’t mind the van idea but @Jennifer-Brodie isn’t so keen on it.

Removed User

Nissan Caravan. It used to be an ambulance in Japan. Awesome height but thirst as it was V6. Sits at my neighbours now, he bought it. As for Jennifer not being keen, if she saw it and looked the interior, I reckon she would be converted. Utes have their place, but this is more luxurious with the Utes ability almost. Hi Lux, you’d be paying heaps for, Surfs okay but still to find a good one? em>

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

I have an older 10 seater nissan caravan its but ugly but 4wd with proper vacume lockers that work well. I have it set up with just two back seats and that leaves room for a double bed or a motor bike diagonaly, they do come in a 12/13 seat version but thats not available in 4wd. We heated the boxy older look of it after our Toyota but its so cheap to run with the super reliable td27. I beleave the later qd30 is just as cheep to run if not cheeper with more power with slighty more styling. Also the 2wd version have beter styling options. My wife loves it now… and it has become her runabout now, once i lifed it then let her drive it, i lots my off road bus.
    Honest down sides gear boxs aren’t the strongest but if you know that and factor it as a running cost $1200 every 3-5years if towing alot or running bigger 4wd tyers its axceptable. they are hard on front tyers. But i do rate them off road i can get to most of the places i coud get my Land Croiser to.
    Witch brings me to proper 4wds you simply cant beat Toyota and the Land Croiser as the flag ship

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I saw the Holden Captiva and really liked the look and features of that, 6 seats is a requirement for us. Reading owner reviews online however indicates they are lemons best avoided. Ah well, the search goes on.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Anyone know anything about the Hyundai Terracan?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/hyundai/auction-823362800.htm

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

The captiva is just a Daewoo with a holden badge but insaying that my dad has had two Daewoos from new and driven both too over 350,000ks but niether were people movers.
    As for the terracan i really like the look of them but know nothing of them other than “”the terracan challenge”” from sports cafe back in the day. Worth searching for a laugh and ideas on what not to do with one you own yourself
    good luck any way!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Well we’re still looking. A lot of the manufacturers should be ashamed at what they label as a 7 seater. The Mitsubishi Outlander rear seats for example is a steel frame with no padding on it, just a seat cover. In the center of the frame there was no cushioning or anything, the only thing stopping you from falling straight through was the seat cover.
    We would have looked at over a dozen makes and models on Sunday and they were beyond ridiculous. The only thing we could fit in was a Ford Explorer but the ride quality was extremely harsh and fuel economy was an oxymoron.
    The Hyundai Terracan I couldn’t get into the back row of seats, I think even our 12 year old would have struggled.

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

Diesel engine wise I would avoid anything starting with the letter M. The 4door 3.1Lt Diesel turbo Bighorns are pretty tough and bullet proof. Early 90s Toyota Landcruiser 4lt Diesel suppose to be good, but they are thirsty and bit underpowered. Other one is Nissan Safari, though don’t know much about them, but they are big and you seem to see few older examples still on the road, so I would say they are tough workhorses.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Facebook – jake.maryniak said:
    Diesel engine wise I would avoid anything starting with the letter M.

I’ve heard that before, but why?

It’s kinda shocking that the best 6-7 seater we have found so far was a small VW car, the Touran. It has more leg room in the back seats and just as much luggage space as any of the big 4×4’s we have looked at.

Anyone know anything about Volvo XC90’s?

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

For some reason earlier Mazda and Mitsi diesels had a very poor reputation. They just weren’t very reliable. I am not sure how their new diesels stack up these days, but every one I ever talked to who had either one of these was complaining about reliability.

Do you really want to know what I think about Volvos ???? 😉

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

By reliability I ment, early Mazda diesels use to crack heads and overheat badly. Dad use to work for Dallas Motors (Mitsubishi dealer) here in Hamilton and he said to stay clear away of them as they had small oil galleries so had poor oil pressure leading to overheating and excessive piston and ring ware.

As for Volvos, Volvo in latin means vulva, which would explain why only c$%ts drive them…..

Removed User

absolute crap! In Latin it means I roll or turn, volvere – think of ball bearings. SKF which was Volvo in the early days!
    Ask Clarkson? Oh wait, we can’t he has been fired!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.