Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Recommendations on good 6 seater and bike hauler wanted – 4×4?

Home Forums Other stuff Off-topic Recommendations on good 6 seater and bike hauler wanted – 4×4?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Well we gave up on the 7 seater idea as none of the vehicles really sit 6 or 7 people and we realised the only time we had more than 5 people in the car over Xmas and New Year, and we can make arrangements around that.

So we settled on a 2006 Suzuki Escudo/Grand Vitara 2.7 litre petrol 5 seater with 2 tonne towing capacity.

Attachments:
    Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 R1200GSA, 2018 1090R

Late to the party, but if you really need 6-7 adult seats, then it’s best to consider vans / people movers. As a kid, the family had 4 Toyota Estimas/Previas, some of them in AWD. You still get luggage space and in some configurations you can flip up the rear seats, or remove entirely for even more space (ie, leave one of them down). We favoured captain seats for the middle row.

I’ve ended up going even bigger, getting a Hiace ZX in mini bus config (the lining/carpet means it’s quieter), so it can be a 10 seater but I’ve removed 6 seats, so have 2-2 and behind I’ve put plywood down and 2 wheel chocks so it can take 4 people, gear and at least 2 bikes (depending on their size). AWD so I can get to more tricky places, however, at 2.3m high I can’t go through most drive-thrus, parking garages etc and parking at almost 5.5m long is also tricky.

I use motorbikes for daily transport anyway 😀

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

The problem with that was wifey wouldn’t be seen dead driving a van.

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

She wouldn’t have to be seen dead in it. Just driving. That or tint the windows and problem solved.

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 R1200GSA, 2018 1090R

@Eddieb said:
    The problem with that was wifey wouldn’t be seen dead driving a van.

Gotta make some sacrifices somewhere in order to get what you want…

3 Clients have parking garages I can’t get into… 1 I can’t visit at all because it’s downtown CBD with almost no parking… others I can visit when parking is available (nights/weekends). However, it’s a personal vehicle, so my priority was mountain biking, transporting motorcycles (the GSA is a large bugger) etc. I’ll steal one of the bosses vehicles if I have to…

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.