fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Riding Australia – Ship your bike over or buy there?

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Riding Overseas Riding Australia – Ship your bike over or buy there?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Riding in Australia is a common dream for many NZ adventure riders and you can either ship your own bike over or buy a bike there.

Have you done it, thinking of doing it? which would you do and why.

If you’ve shipped your bike over what did it cost?

Attachments:
    Ken Wilson
    Participant

I did this in 2010 – a relaxed 6 month trip round the exterior and up the guts. Because I was travelling with a well known NZ cereal manufacturer (and ex-Auckland mayor) we shipped our bikes from Auckland to Sydney using his contacts.

Great trip – because he and I were working four days a month we would park our bikes up at the end of each month, fly home (Wellly for me), do the work and fly back. Very relaxed.

My blog is here if you are interested (in fact it is here even if you aren’t interested) : http://kenandhelga.blogspot.com

ntst8
    Participant
    • Bike: DRZ400E

I shipped a bike Aus – NZ a few years ago, a vintage machine bought in Sydney. Actual shipping then was around $400 but add on taxes, fees etc nearer $2k one way. The tax component presumably wouldn’t apply for shipping to and fro.

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

Yes, looking to ship from Melb to Akl one way and so far figuring about 2500nzd landed and rego’d/wof’d after compliance/brake test/maf inspection. Big variable is GST and DUTY (15% and 5% respectively) so the ‘value’ written on documentation is a major factor. Crazy that its more to ship from Oz than USA! BTW this is a light adv bike at 120kg…not a heavy beast at all. Ideally someone racing would have container space, but hard to organise this.

Tranquilo Jonny
    Participant

I know the question has been posed before but does anyone have details of recently shipped bikes, the best quote I have had so far is 1681 nzd including crating from Christchurch to Sydney, this is with 360 Logistic Group, thanks TJ

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

@Tranquilo Jonny said:
    I know the question has been posed before but does anyone have details of recently shipped bikes, the best quote I have had so far is 1681 nzd including crating from Christchurch to Sydney, this is with 360 Logistic Group, thanks TJ

I’ve no personal experience but I think @benbass has used http://www.willship.co.nz/ to do it.

@tranquilo-jonny
    I’ve merged this topic into another discussing shipping to Aus.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.