No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Electric Motorcycles Riding team plans longest-ever electric motorcycle expedition

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

A team of three determined travellers are planning to undertake the longest ever expedition using electrically powered motorcycles. JC Davis, Greg Smith, and Danell Lynn are hoping to ride from Prudhoe Bay in the frozen northern tundra of Alaska all the way to the southernmost reaches of Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.

The Expedition Electric team, two men and one woman, will travel 25,000 miles through fifteen different countries using custom-built electric motorcycles. It will be their second attempt at the trip after a first attempt ended because of technical difficulties in 2016. “After we’d made it down through Alaska, through the Yukon, and were on our way into British Columbia, we had a battery failure,” explained JC Davis.

Read the rest of the article on LonelyPlanet.com: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2018/02/14/riding-team-electric-motorbike-longest-trip/.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I didn’t realise when I first posted this but the bikes the Expedition Electric team are using are EV converted KTM 950 Adventures.

The bikes are fitted with oil cooled AC electric motors and $20,000US worth of batteries that will provide 300 miles of travel per charge.

http://expeditionelectric.com/ktm-adventure/

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S, CB500X

I generally don’t like posting negative stuff on forums but……

I read as much as I could handle of the PR bullsh*t articles and watched the video trailer on their website but nothing tells the answer to the obvious question, i.e. how they intend to recharge their bikes once well away from civilisation. Three support trucks with generators? Stop for three weeks under a solar panel? So call me cynical but I ask myself, whats the point of this exercise?

We already know a big orange beastie can do the ride they plan. We already know e-bikes can go for x kms on one charge. Treble the battery power and they can go three times as far – not exactly a mindblowing conclusion.

Am I missing something? (I usually am…..)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.