No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Site Stuff RIP Daniel Aretz (xdodox) – 12th October 2015.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Adrian 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

It is with sadness that I announce the passing of member xdodox – Daniel Aretz.

Daniel was killed in a head on collision with another motorcycle on Makomako Road in the Waikato on October 12th 2015.

I had the pleasure of meeting and riding with Daniel when he joined us to attend the Cold Kiwi rally in September 2014. Daniel was a likeable guy, in New Zealand from Germany enjoying all the great riding New Zealand had to offer.
    Daniel contributed a number of GPS tracks to this site and was keen to share his love and knowledge of riding with others.

http://www.stuff.co.nz said:
    A weekend motorcycle ride with friends turned to tragedy when a 37-year-old man died in a collision with another rider on a corner of an unsealed Waikato road.

Police said the two motorcyclists collided head-on on Makomako Road between Kawhia and Raglan just after 3pm Saturday.

Daniel Aretz died at the scene, acting road policing manager Senior Sergeant Stephen Ambler said.

“The Waikato Serious Crash Unit is still investigating the crash to determine the cause but initial indications are Mr Aretz, who was a German national living in Auckland, has come across the other motorcyclists while the two parties were negotiating a corner and he died at the scene,” he said.

“Our staff are yet to speak to the other rider, who was taken to Waikato Hospital with moderate injuries.”

“It is a tragic and unfortunate accident by all accounts.”

Aretz had been employed by BM Workshop, an Auckland-based independent BMW repairer.

Owner Guido Locher described Aretz as a “top guy” who was well-liked in the company, but said no-one was ready to speak further.

“Everybody’s pretty cut up about it.”

The Kawhia accident was the 11th fatal motorcycle crash in the Waikato for 2015, Ambler said.

Aretz had been riding a G650 BMW motorbike while the other rider was on a trail bike, and was taken to Waikato Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

“They were not known to each other,” Ambler said.

Police had earlier said that the rider was part of a group of five.

As they rounded the corner the motorcyclist and trail biker, riding in opposite directions, collided head on. Ambler said both were wearing helmets and safe riding gear.

“It’s a very rural location, unsealed, dead end road. It is a big scene to work though and the gravel road makes it more difficult so there will be lengthy inquiry into that.”

Police contacted Aretz’s family with help from the German consulate and Interpol.

Police urged caution as the spring and summer weather tempted motorcyclists to go out riding.

“Once again Waikato police are urging motorists to work with them in creating a social space on our district’s roads, one that is safe no matter the number of wheels you use to get from Point A to Point B.”

Michael Eastwood
    Participant

Terrible news

Keith Fenwick
    Participant

This is sad news indeed and a timely reminder that there are other people out there using the same roads that we are playing on.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

From: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/87239057/motorcyclist-sentenced-over-death

Motorcyclist sentenced over death

A motorcyclist who tore around a corner on a gravel road and then smashed into and killed another rider has been sentenced to 10 months of home detention.

Michael Bruce Hayes, 38, of Raglan, appeared in Hamilton District Court on Tuesday, on a single charge of dangerous driving causing death.

It related to a collision between two motorcycles in which Daniel Aretz, 37, was killed.

The incident happened on a corner on Makomako Rd, between Kawhia and Raglan, on October 10, 2015.

Aretz was a German national employed by BM Workshop, an Auckland-based independent BMW repairer.

Although a gravel road, Makomako Rd was also a public road.

Judge Kim Saunders also disqualified Hayes from driving for two years and six months.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The article on Stuff today has been updated with more details.

From: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/87239057/motorcyclist-sentenced-over-death

German motorcyclist records own death on helmet cam

A motorcyclist who tore around a blind corner on a gravel road and then smashed into and killed another rider has been sentenced to 10 months of home detention.

Michael Bruce Hayes, 38, of Raglan, appeared in Hamilton District Court on Tuesday, on a single charge of dangerous driving causing death.

The death was of Daniel Aretz, 37, a German national employed by BM Workshop, an Auckland-based independent BMW repairer.

The incident happened on a corner on Makomako Rd, between Kawhia and Raglan, on October 10, 2015. The route, frequently used by bike riders, is an unsealed public road and the common road rules apply there.

As sentencing judge Kim Saunders noted, “There was always a risk of oncoming traffic”.

The court heard that Hayes had been with a group of riders when, at speed, he raced around a blind corner and straight into Aretz, who was coming in the opposite direction.

Hayes knew the road well and had ridden on it many times. The day was overcast and the road was dry.

Aretz had a GoPro camera fitted to his helmet, and the entire incident was captured on high definition video footage.

That footage assisted the judge greatly in assessing Hayes’ level of culpability.

“Your speed was excessive for the conditions … [However] this case is devoid of the many aggravating factors in cases such as this,” Saunders said.

Hayes had never appeared in court before for driving or any other kind of offence.

“It was a one-off situation when you showed poor judgement with tragic consequences.”

Aretz’s parents, who live in Germany, had supplied the court with a victim impact statement in which they spoke of their “deep wound, physically and mentally, which will never heal”.

“They say it is difficult to find inner peace,” Saunders told Hayes. “However they acknowledge that despite their pain and tears, they cannot begin to imagine the nightmare you have been through.

“There are no winners or losers. It’s something you will have to live with for the rest of your life.”

She noted that Hayes had also made a video apology to Aretz’s parents, which will be sent to them following his sentencing.

A pre-sentence report found Hayes was low risk of re-offending and his remorse was genuine.

Prior to sentencing, his counsel Mark Sturm told the court it was a “sad and sorry day” for Hayes.

“The defendant was over-confident, he did not expect the unexpected and the victim has paid for that with his life.”

Although the charge Hayes faced came with a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison, Sturm pleaded for a lenient sentence so his client could continue to contribute to society and look after his family.

In sentencing Hayes to 10 months home detention, Judge Saunders also disqualified him from driving for two years and six months.

Addo007
    Participant
    • Bike: Dr650se

This made me think of a ride I went on yesterday, I was riding on Junction Road which goes between Tarata, Inglewood and the Forgotten World Highway. I was on the gravel section and was confronted by 6 new KTM’s, 1190’s I think. They were spread out and two of them almost ran me off the road into a ditch, completely on my side of the road. After that I was tip toeing around corners and actually flagged one of the bikes down to tell them about their riding. Then a ktm ute towing a trailer came flying along a straight in a whirlwind of dust so I’m assuming it was a planned group trip sponsored by ktm. If I had been a car it would have been a collision, no doubt about it. Really bad riding, and this topic shows what can happen.

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

I’m guessing the KTMs were related to the coast to coast: http://www.ktm.com/nz/news/nz/ktm-new-zealand-announces-coast-to-coast-adventure-rallye/

I’ve had a few moments with vehicles in the back blocks, and now I know to expect they don’t expect me. From a tractor taking up almost the entire road (and the farmers eyes looked like a possums in headlights – but to be fair the road wasn’t two vehicles wide anyway) to a truck and trailer unit rounding a blind gravel corner at such a clip he couldn’t stop in the entire distance between us (should be half) and I had to get off the road.

Unless you can see through the corner, treat them like a local is coming the other way not expecting you…

Adrian
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 DR650

I rode along one of the sections they did, and judging by the tracks left on the road they would’ve been flying. I figured they must’ve closed the roads for those sections..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.