fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Road tripping southern Coromandel / northern Bay of Plenty

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Road tripping southern Coromandel / northern Bay of Plenty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Mid last week the much better half says we have nothing planned for the weekend and so we should go away on the bikes. Dr’s orders say I have to take things easy and I’m only allowed to road ride at the moment so we pick a direction, do some quick googling and decide & book accomodation for Friday and Saturday nights, the rest was left open.

Friday night we stayed at the campground at Opoutere Beach, the road into Opoutere has some stunning views.

If you want somewhere stunning, secluded and a little out of the way I recommend this place. Basic but beautiful. The only thing to plan for is the water out of the cabin taps is not potable, though a 2ltr bottle of drinking water was supplied in the cabin fridge.
    http://www.opouterebeach.co.nz/camping.html

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The campsite is 2 minutes walk through some lovely bush to the beach

David Butler
    Participant

I know that area, has to be some of the most beautiful coastline in the world. But so crowded…;-)
    Dave B

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Saturday morning we made out way down the coast.

Jennifer in the rear view mirror

Onemana Beach

Jennifer carving up the twisties north of Waihi

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Omokoroa was the destination for the day. For a side trip we took the ferry at Omokoroa over to Matakana Island. It turns out Matakana only has 6-8km of sealed road and about that much again of gravel that you can ride/drive. 80% of the island is private forestry land that is inaccessible without a permit.

It’s a pretty small ferry

Loaded on the ferry

A beach on Matakana Island

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Sunday we had an uneventful ride home to Hamilton again, though we stop stop at Mclaren Falls at the top of the Kaimai’s and Jennifer showed me the awesome Mclaren Lake park and campsite. I’ve been to Mclaren falls quite a lot as a teenager, but never knew there was an awesome park and camp right behind the falls!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.