fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Shinko Announces 804/805 Big Block Adventure Touring Tires

Home Forums General Discussion Gear Shinko Announces 804/805 Big Block Adventure Touring Tires

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/spotlight/news-archive/19-spotlight/news/726-news-shinko-804-tire

Shinko 804 and 805 Big Block tires are here! Born from their already popular line of popular dual sport tires, Shinko has created the 804 and 805 geared specifically for the larger adventure touring bikes. The classic big block pattern not only looks aggressive, but will also handle nearly anything you can throw at it, while giving you a stable and comfortable ride on the pavement.

ss2fly
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 540exc - modified

Was gonna throw a set of these on my KTM 540 exc for some adventure rides I want to do.
    Bike currently set up as a motard bike but I’ve recently turned it into an adventure bike.
    Anyone here using these tyres and recommend them….or not???

Black Betty
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

I Have a set on my DR650. Have done approx 2000km on them with little wear. My riding with the Shinkos has only been tar or gravel but I have nothing bad to say about them. Great road manners and I guess the price is a bonus too. I run them at 30psi as many seem to do if you peruse the web.
    Trade me seller in Canterbury is the go for them.

Badjelly
    Participant

I’ve a set on my DRZ400e (not SM)

Road use mainly, some gravel, some sand, tiny bit of dirt.

They’re pretty good on the road (very good compared to knobbies), and ok elsewhere. I’ve not used them in mud or on grass – I suspect they wont’ bite much and might be a bit slippy. May or may not be self clearing with clay – the tread is fairly open on the back, less so on the front.

I’ve done ~1000km so far and little signs of wear. I’m running them at 23psi – found above 30 that they were quite jittery. BB you should try a bit lower (though the 650 will be a little heavier, so maybe not quite as low!). They don’t seem to be squirmy on the road at 23, and the off-road is much better (but I haven’t found anywhere rocky to ride near Auckland… if there were I’d be closer to 30 I think to protect against pinch flats).

ss2fly
    Participant

Thanks for the input guys. I’m gonna pull the trigger on these. I’ve tried knobbies on it before and it was an animal to ride! Not to mention it destroyed them real quick!

That said, it ate a new rear Bridgestone battlax from Tauranga to Invercargill for the Burt Monroe and another on the way home.

Hope these hold up for a bit….

Aaron Martin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2016 Africa Twin

I run the 805 as a rear tyre on my KLR @ 28psi, I got 8800km from the last one and I found it to be a really good tyre, especially for the $120 it cost. The T63 I was running previously didn’t survive half as long.

They get clogged pretty easy in mud, but still have traction, and work well in gravel and on tarmac.

ss2fly
    Participant

Righto, I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of these.
    I can’t decide on the width of the rear though…
    Is wider better or not necessarily?
    Currently have a 160/60/17 Bridgestone Batalax on a set of NSR250 rims I modified to fit.
    This completely fills the available area, cannot fit anything bigger.
    It’s awesome on the road but it’ll be next to useless on anything else…
    Suggestions on width, wide as possible or narrow it up a tad.. (140-150)??
    Help me out please….
    ANDY in Tauranga

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

On deeper gravel a wider tyre can skim over the surface where a skinnier tyre usually digs in more, only the road no idea.

ss2fly
    Participant

My thoughts too.
    I ride 95% road at the mo but use my road set up for that.
    Will use these shinkos when there is any possibility of gravel/dirt etc being encountered.
    Actually doing a ride soon from Tauranga round the East Cape and back through the Waioweka Gorge with 16 others from work but I’m turning off at Te Karaka and heading up the Motu to the coast to meet up with the others… Should be a good test for the Shinkos…

ss2fly
    Participant

The only size I can get that’ll fit my 2.15″ rear rim is a 120/90-18
    Will this be enough meat on the KTM 540?
    The next size up is a 150/70-18 and while there is enough room in the swing arm, I don’t think it’ll like going on a narrow rim…
    What size are you running bad jelly and black Betty?

Black Betty
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

130/80 – 17
    Looks like the DR runs a smaller rim.

ss2fly
    Participant

Cool, thanks.
    Bugger all choices in 18″ it seems.
    Looks like the 120/80/18 is the go.
    Looks a bit like an o-ring after the street tyre I’m currently running…..

Badjelly
    Participant

120/90-18

Purchased through Coleman’s in AKL.

ss2fly
    Participant

Bit the bullet and got a set for the Katoom.
    Cheap to at $217.00 for the pair delivered.

Bike finally set for the big ride from Tauranga round the East Cape to Gisborne the home via the Motu road.

Can’t wait!!!

Team Buffoon
    Participant

Anybody able to do a comparison v TKC80s? Obviously cheaper but how about grip on tarmac?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.