No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Small ADV bike comparison

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S, CB500X

Every now and then, I look at my DRZ250 and wonder whether I should trade it for something shiny red or blue.

Each time this happens I spend ages on Trademe drooling over shiny Hondas and Yamahas and lately even Kawasakis.

But then I wonder, are they actually any better, especially given I would be paying around twice what my (2016) bike is worth to get them. Would they be twice as good?

So tonight I spent some time so hopefully next time the N+1 urge returns, I can pull out this spreadsheet and move on.

Here’s what I found. There are basically two types of small ADV bike. Those with the 21/18 wheel combo that does well on gravel and can handle a few lumps and bumps. And those that have other wheel sizes and that are ADV style mini tourer road bikes. The Ducati Sixty 2 is in a class of its own, really…..

Conclusions,
    DRZ250 is the lightest, one of the cheapest and has as good ground clearance as any.
    On a Power to Weight Ratio (PWR, allowing for the bike + 100kg of rider plus kit) its better than all of the other 250s, including the WR250R which surprised me. It doesn’t have a lot of torque (but its taken me up some pretty gnarly hills on trails rides, so it has enough…for me)

If you are just buying on the basis of the specs, the only bike to really consider upgrading to is the drz400. There are many more aftermarket bits for this bike which is in its favour.

So there you go, good little bike!

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Got to agree about the DRZ250. Mine has held its own in company of bigger and more expensive bikes. It can handle any terrain I have taken it on, Porters Rd and 42nd Traverse spring to mind as does a day trips around the East Cape from Whakatane. Only downsides are range, could do with a bigger tank and that seat, urgh, not the comfiest. However for solo riding low range means getting off that seat sooner.

Daniel Fisher
    Participant
    • Bike: DRZ 250

Wow, interesting comparison of hard numbers thanks for posting this. Always had my heart set on a wr or xr/crf, but ended up with the drz, due mainly cost and availability at the time of purchase (second hand.)

I do wonder if Suzuki are inflating their power figures though. As both the crf’s and wr’s have higher compression ratios and rev to around 11k (in the case of wr’s and crf-r) vs the 7k for drz. Would be interesting to see the power figures of the bikes after the cheap/free power mods done on them. I think in that case the wr/crf would take off. Still very happy with the drz250, and now seeing the drz400 only 8kgs more, it could very well be my next bike with a lowering link installed!

OldBeer
    Participant

Posted these numbers elsewhere and the feedback I got was that the drz is nearer 17 than 24kw. It does have a pretty high compression ratio, needs 95 or better which is a bit of a pain. Sounds like with the mods you can get to 22kw but if you really need or want more power, then you probably need to buy a different bike. All feedback said WR far more powerful than the DRZ, so thats probably right.

But as a fellow DRZ250 owner, I have to say we both made excellent decisions to buy them. We can argue the toss about the power etc but we will always win the value for money argument. Mine cost 4.5k second hand but nearly new. It will do 80 percent of anything any of the other bikes will do and will probably last longer.

The ugly duckling of the trail bike world – just never going to become a swan!!

Daniel Fisher
    Participant
    • Bike: DRZ 250

Haha nice analogy! Yes they aren’t the prettiest bike. I think its somewhat of an advantage having a cheap bike in some situations, as if I drop it I don’t care, so can do more with it. Now if I had an expensive bike I think I would be less adventurous because… IT’S EXPENSIVE!

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

We have a specs comparison table for most ADV bikes on the website.

https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/getting-started/adventure-motorcycle-comparison/

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks Eddie, I’d forgotten that. Would be good if the hp and torque figures for the suzukis were there. Especially as the drz650 is the most common bike for users of this site.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

If numbers are missing it’s because I haven’t been able to find an authoritive source for them, if you find an authoritive source for any missing details any let me know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.