No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports ADVNZ South Island Invasion 2012

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

In late March of 2012 I ran a ride where a group of North Island riders ‘invaded’ the South Island for 4 days of awesome riding.

Since then I’ve been asked about it quite a few times and I never did a ride report so I’ll put together a brief one here from what I still remember.

On Day 1 we (@Colin-Landy, @she_wolfnz, @Anthony-Steele and 3 others that I don’t think are on here) took an early ferry from Wellington to Picton, arriving in Picton mid to late morning.

After an uneventful crossing we followed State Highway 1 to Blenheim where we branched off into the local suburbs to Taylors Pass.
    Taylors Pass comes out in the Awatere Valley which is the top end of the Molesworth/Archeron Road, right where the seal ends and the gravel begins.

The ride through the Molesworth was beautifully scenic but uneventful except for Col deciding to have a liedown when a flower proved more interesting than he expected.

She Wolfnz
    Participant

good times!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Day 2 was a big day. After breakfast we started up the Rainbow Road and in short time came to our first side trip, Edwards Valley which turned out to be amazing.

Once out of Edwards Valley we rode further up the Rainbow Road and onto Mallings Pass, another awesome side trip.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

From Malings Pass it was back onto the Rainbow Road to a 3rd quick diversion at Lake Tennyson, before running up the final section of the Rainbow Road where we met local rider Pete on his XT660 on the way.

We had a late food break at St Arnaud before continuing on over Porika Track to the stunning Lake Rotoroa.

From Lake Rotoroa you leave the carpark onto Braeburn Track for a cruise and a few small fords. At the end of the Braeburn Track it’s a left and a right onto Mangles Valley Road which unfortunately is now sealed for a twisty road ride into Murchison for our accomodation for the night.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Day 3 started with a right turn out of the campsite and onto Matakitaki Road which soon turns to gravel and leads onto the Maruia Saddle

At the end of the Maruia Saddle we took a left onto SH65 and through Maruia to the next turnoff to the left where we crossed the Maruia River onto West Bank Road which rejoins SH65 just North of Springs Junction.

From Springs junction it’s a fantastic cruise through the forest to SH7 to Reefton were we checked into our accomodation at The Old Nurses Home guesthouse.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

After checking in and unloading the bikes and a bite to eat the next track was Big River Mine. A long, windy and stony track that leads up to old mine workings and a display

and following that it was off to Waitahu River, both of these tracks are within a few minutes of Reefton.

Here’s some more footage of Big River and Waitahu River from another trip down South in 2009

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.