No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Staying Safe

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  harrywatson 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

harrywatson
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Seems to be a few deaths this holiday season for motorcyclists.

I’ve been told of one, by a friend of a relation that died on the Ashurst bridge. (Going toward Palmerston North, from the Manawatu Gorge). One car overtook another car and didn’t see the motorcycle in front. The motorcyclist was 21yrs old and was in no way at fault. The car was going way too fast and the driver was not paying attention. Hearing it from someone involved was scary. I myself made a short trip from Masterton to Feilding and back, and was overtaken twice on blind corners and once before a dip in the road. I was travelling at appropriate speed. (80 – 90 towards corners). One person that overtook me obviously panicked and almost ran me off the road realising they had misjudged the corner. What to do? Should we start a safety forum?

The road is scary this time of year. How do we anticipate what’s behind us?

So how do you all stay safe? Would we like a new topic like this?

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

I do wish everyone out in the road to stay safe.
    The road danger is part of what we do, we have to live with it and pay extra attention to the road and the other drivers, all it takes is a bad moment.

Be extra cautious out there, and pay extra attention to all mirrors, I myself installed a set of those blind spot mirrors in my bike, it is amazing the amount of times I got caught by a blind spot scare.
    And also, one of my tips is, ride the closest to the shoulder of your lane as possible, I’ve see way to many people using all of their lane just to get a scare from someone overshooting a turn in the other direction…

Stay safe, ride safe and happy New Year.

Cheers
    Joao

harrywatson
    Participant

Thanks @jonibarteam I’ll take a look at that mirror idea.

Meanwhile even today I pulled over quietly without getting angry when being tailgated by a boy racer. Also someone in front of me was weaving badly. I took the rego. I was only out for an hour.

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

I’ll *555 bad driving. Mainly in the van (I never seem to be on the same route long enough when on the bike plus the mobile is usually locked away and off), things like cars tailgating, poor driving, crossing the centre line for no reason etc.

As for myself, I try to ride the best I can, I feel I have good skills, but there is only so much you can do. Cars on the wrong side of the road around a blind corner or pulling into your path (be it intersections or passing)… it’s mainly luck.

You could wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave home, but then people die at home too… life is short, live it.

harrywatson
    Participant

Yeah I agree @gremlin why hide under the couch?
    4 hour ride Saturday just out and about Wairarapa,
    up some fire trails in Featherston etc. Lots of bikes
    about and no idiots! Imagine my surprise! Luck has
    heaps to do with it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.