No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Suzuki D-Day – Epic Events

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Searle 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Suzuki and Epic events are running a Suzuki DR, DRZ & DL adventure ride in the Central Plateau.

See the Epic events website to register: http://www.epicevents.co.nz/page/89-motorbike-events%20suzuki-d-day

As a one day manoeuvre this ride is going to be a blast, but not so much so that you need to be an expert. The adventure will be aimed at the easy end of the scale, because enjoyment is the key reason for this event! Epic Events staff will guide riders through some magnificent, scenic areas, avoiding the well-trodden route, starting and finishing from The Powderhorn Chateau in Ohakune. No route sheets or GPS needed. Suzuki D-Day has been specifically designed as an introductory, easy adventure ride, not a hard slog! We’re here for a great day’s riding, and perhaps even a chance for a whole weekend away for some of you. This is a fantastic opportunity to ride through some areas you may not have been before and on some of the best terrain on the planet!

Registration, meet & greet and riders briefing will kick off between 8.00 – 9.00am, Saturday 13th June. This will be at the Powderhorn Chateau, located at the bottom of Mountain Rd, Ohakune. A great pre-ride chance for everyone to have a catch-up and a chinwag & have a riders briefing to ensure you are all prepared to enjoy a great day of adventure riding.
    Then it’s all go at approximately 9.30am to head out and start the ride. For lunch we will stop for a well-deserved hot meal, and a refuel of both bikes and bodies, before heading off again in the afternoon though some fantastic private roads and tracks close to the base of the mountain. At the days end we’re back at The Powderhorn to share stories and have a laugh or two!

Entry Fee $110 Rider or $35 Pillion – Includes:

Registration and briefing
    A superb day of adventure riding through stunning Central Plateau scenery
    A well-deserved hot lunch midway through your ride on Saturday
    Rally cap and ride stickers
    Guides & sweep crew
    Land Access Fees

Check out our event listing and let us know if you are going: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/events/221/suzuki-d-day-epic-events/

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve registered and paid so I’m in.

David Bisschops
    Participant
    • Bike: bmw 2005 f650gs Dakar

id like to go but dont have a suzuki but if someone would lend a suzuki i would go along even swap bikes for the weekend if anyone is intrested

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So who’s going to this and where are you staying?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve booked my accomodation, I’ll be staying at the Top 10 Ohakune in a Gypsy cabin.

Brent Finlay
    Participant

Will see you there Edward also booked at Holiday park Fri/Sat Staying with Steve Kelly in Cabin

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Facebook – brent.finlay.3 said:
    Will see you there Edward also booked at Holiday park Fri/Sat Staying with Steve Kelly in Cabin

Awesome, see you there Brent.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Set up in Ohakune. The weather isn’t great, wind and drizzly rain.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Suzuki and Epic events put on a great day for Suzuki D-Day, we covered some great country and I’ve never seen so many DR’s in one place.

DR’s galore

More DR’s and DL’s

The weather wasn’t the best, but it didn’t dampen the days riding

A DL1000 on the gravel

A DL650 on the gravel

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The mighty DR in its element

Looking down on riders further along the road

When the weather did clear the views were great.

A fine example of a Drz-400

The Adventure Riding NZ DR650 again

Eddieb
    Keymaster

A Suzuki towing a Suzuki back from Suzuki D-Day

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I have video footage from the forest section at the end also but need to edit it before I can post it up.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

As part of the entry fee Suzuki included a Suzuki Rally Adventure cap.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Video from the final section of the day, a private forestry block on the North side of SH49 between Waiouru and Ohakune.

Expat
    Participant

Hi Folks

That looks like a great day out – Can I ask how the DLs got along? I’ve just bought one and have thought about doing some of this type of riding on it.

Were you guys riding with ‘knoblies’ – I’ve gone for an “80% road tyre” and hope it would cope well enough with most of that, although some of the stream banks looked quite soft…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.