fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Suzuki V(Wee)-Strom DL650 2004-2010

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Suzuki V(Wee)-Strom DL650 2004-2010

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

I couldn’t afford a BMW F800GS so I’ve bought a DL650 V-Strom for 2up gravel exploring and touring.

It will need new tyres soon and the steering head bearings need doing, apart from that it seems pretty sweet. It’s pre farkled so has all the usual fitment as you can see, plus a Scottoiler and a 12V outlet to the left of the instruments.

Attachments:
    Jake Maryniak
    Participant

Did you buy a new toy?

Where you going to keep it? Your garage is full…..

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Facebook – jake.maryniak said:
    Did you buy a new toy?

Where you going to keep it? Your garage is full…..

I was going to use some of the spare space in your garage.

Removed User

Nice mate, welcome to the fold….
    A baby wee strom….
    They are great bikes…..
    My garage if full of spare parts for the strom…..Nothing for the wee though, but I got bulbs for Africa, pads, mirrors, indicator bulbs, oil filters etc etc….
    It came well set up for the work tour!

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

<cite> @Eddieb said:</cite>
    I was going to use some of the spare space in your garage.

I am in the process of cleaning it out so I can squeaze the new 4WD in there

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Mark Wareham said:
    Nice mate, welcome to the fold….
    A baby wee strom….
    They are great bikes…..
    My garage if full of spare parts for the strom…..Nothing for the wee though, but I got bulbs for Africa, pads, mirrors, indicator bulbs, oil filters etc etc….
    It came well set up for the work tour!

Cheers, I am looking forward to getting out on it, the ergonomics seem pretty good.

Ross Unwin
    Participant
    • Town/City: Waipukarau

I sold my DR650 recently and replaced it with a new Wee Strom as I am doing mostly road riding now and what an awesome bike. Straight away fitted hand guards, bash plate and side protection bars for the engine. I already had a large Ventura pack so also fitted the “L” brackets and pack rack for it. Big step up in comfort and road manners from the DR. Its the Lams version as I couldn’t justify paying the extra for a few extra ponies at the top end (Bottom end and mid range torque are the same as the non lams version) The dealer said its much cheaper fitting a Power Commander later on than paying the extra. Well after running it in pretty hard, Stuff the power Commander, this thing has more than enough power to get me into deep shit pretty quick. The value of the stock screen to me is purely cosmetic, Just created more noise and buffeting around the helmet and stopped the air getting through the vents in my jacket. I was cooking behind it. (Been into the 40s in the sun here in HB) It came off after about 100 kms . And no, I havnt given up on the adventurous stuff, Im slowly rebuilding a 1990 Honda XRV750 RD04 (Africa Twin).

Sharn
    Participant
    • Bike: WR250R

Very nice!

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite> @Eddieb said:</cite>
    I couldn’t afford a BMW F800GS so I’ve bought a DL650 V-Strom for 2up gravel exploring and touring.

It will need new tyres soon and the steering head bearings need doing,

” alt=”” />

2x tapered roller bearings no. 32006 from any bearing shop for the head bearings, Mitas 07 for the front and a Fullbore M40 (shinko 705 copy, but better on dirt) for the rear…should do just fine for mixed 2-up touring. 🙂
    Turf the OEM wheel bearings, while at it.
    Specs here
    http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=10899.0

And…congrats :-))

Oscar
    Participant

Good looking Wee Strom Ed!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

First impressions after riding Auckland to Hamilton and home to work.

The fuel injection is excellent at all revs, very smooth.
    Low speed balance is very good, I do a very small tight roundabout as part of my commute to work which would highlight any top heaviness, and there isn’t any. Pushing it around the garage actually feels easier than my DR, even though it’s ~50kg heavier.
    It’s no where near as responsive on the throttle as my DR, though my DR’s intake and exhaust system is heavily modified and the Wee-Strom is stock.

For me footpeg lowering brackets are going to be essential, the seat to peg relationship is way too close, meaning I’m more sitting on my tailbone than my butt and thighs.
    Bar back handle bar risers are also on the list, the reach to the handlbars is a touch longer and lower than I’d like.

I need some ADV tyres, at the moment it has road tyres fitted.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Let the farkling begin, I’ve just ordered the Footpeg and Control Lowering kit from Adventuretech.biz

http://www.adventuretech.biz/footpeg-and-control-lowering-kit.html

Now to find some ~30mm bar back handlebar risers that aren’t $146,

Removed User
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

I was hoping to find something local but I can’t see how a 20mm back set is $100 more than a standard set.

The Strom is booked in to get the steering head bearings done tomorrow.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The handling is way better with the steering heads bearings fixed, and my footpegs lowering brackets have arrived so i might get those on today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.