fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums Sidecars Sidecar Rides & Events Takapari Rd – 4th May 2019.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  3Pattes 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R100GS & Velorex 562 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

TAKAPARI RD – 4th May 19
    Marty had talked about revisiting Takapari Rd for a while. Steve Ellwood was looking for someone else to ride with round PNth. And I needed a more technical ride than I’d been doing with Mrs Box’a’bits. Seemed like I could match those three.

The forecast was okay, but Takapari is subalpine, & has real variability in weather conditions. It can be fine off the hills, but have no visibility, &/or huge winds at the top.

Wellington weather was a bit misty & clagged in first thing in the morning. This improved as I went north.

Met Paul, Marty, & Steve at Allied Ashhurst. Marty led the way out, I was tail end charlie. We won’t talk about someone’s missed left hand corner. Good job there was no oncoming traffic. Marty was reliant on his GPS to direct us there. But I’m guessing his GPS skills need a bit of work. It was a bit of magical mystery tour via Pohangina West to get us there. That suited Steve & I well – there’s gravel that way. A bit on the dusty side though.

Regroup & chat at the Takapari Rd turn off, then into it. I led to the 1st gates, then we played leap frog thru the several gates to the forest portion. Given I don’t need to deploy a sidestand, or worry about dodgy ground, I took on a bit of that. Steve got to play a bit of tag with some recalcitrant steers, who didn’t want to move out of the way, & we got the whole sheep rush hour thing going a little further up the track.

K75C & Velorex 562 sidecar

At one gate I discovered the limitations of the rear Shinko 705 I’d spooned on the night before. Sustained loss of traction on the grass berm I’d parked on.

Unfortunately by the forestry section Steve’s overheat light was solidly on, so he decided that as things were only going to get slower, perhaps he needed to turn round.

The forestry section is getting rutted. It’s pretty steep & has a high clay component. But didn’t cause too many issues. Don’t know I’d want to meet anyone coming the other way on portions of it though. They’d have trouble stopping, I’d struggle getting moving again…

Bounced my way along behind Marty & Paul to near the summit, until Marty decided he wanted some GoPro footage of the sidecar. Of course he decided to do this on the most technical portion of the track.

Looking down on the bustling metropolis of Dannevegas…

You can just see the ‘A’ Frame Hut in the distance, to the right

No ballasting on a light sidecar has pluses & minuses. I don’t tend to worry too much about the sidecar track, but I do float or fly the sidecar wheel over the top of the worst of the ruts, potholes & large rocky outcrops. But downhill off camber doesn’t really suit the chair too well, especially as it’s not ballasted. Took a few dabs along the way, & I had to pick my way down a few of the steeper descents.

Got to say this track must be hard on equipment.

Loads of water in the tub. Haven’t decided if that was from the biggish puddle I hyproplaned through, or the Camelbak leaked. Either way, the Merino I left on the seat was soaked.

The retired guys in the Ute at the A Frame hut were surprised to see a sidecar up there. We had a good chat about a load of things including the general detriorating state of the track, people riding trials bikes over the hut, & other assorted acts of vandelism. Also hunting in the area, & where some of the tracks went. Both were retired mechanics, at least one had a quad which he also brought up. We also touched on sidecars, crazy WoF stories, & other things of mutual interest. Nice guys.

Bashed the sidecar back down the track. Funny how the trip out seems to go faster than the trip in. I hit one rocky outcropping pretty hard, so had to stop & inspect the sump for damage. Fortunately the sump guard is pretty robust. Hopefully the wheels are all still round.

Slippy coming back down the forestry section.

Whizzed round to Steve’s for a tea/coffee. Steve was nice enough to show us the BMW R50/3 he has salted away. V.cool little bike, which I’d love to own (but definitely couldn’t afford). Spilt from the team there.

Google maps only shows the road portion.

Coffee at Otaki BP. I was flashed at Paraparaumu by a rain god driving a van (which slowed the traffic down for the next couple of kms), no big queues at MacKays Crossing, home before dark.

Knackered. But the sidecar went well, & needs a thorough detailing before being stored under dust sheet – which it won’t get. Well, maybe a hose down before Gus resumes commute duties Monday.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

And Go Pro footage from the ride

3Pattes
    Participant

Hi,
    great video, nice landscapes!
    As you are the only one driving a sidecar i think you are very lucky to find riders to go along with you…..Great team!
    Not so easy to find says the guy who always has to dig the bike out alone when things went wrong.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

@3pattes, I don’t give them a choice. I just show up. Sometimes on a solo, sometimes on the sidecar. I don’t really hold anyone up, run tail end charlie mostly (except when I get a clear run on gravel), & have a certain novelty value at present.

I do warn there riders I run different lines & not to follow me if that bothers them. I also warn them where I might struggle.

I know that the other sidecar rider had issues running with solos on seal.

Yes, Takapari Rd is brilliant. But rare to get a clear still day.

3Pattes
    Participant

Hahaha…..as a mechanic I understand exactly what you mean by <run tail end charlie>, however <mostly> ? No no no, ALWAYS!!! It’s part of the negotiation you see, kind of, you wait for me BECAUSE I carry your supply! I know it’s unfair but I’m not ashamed!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.