fbpx

No products in the cart.

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Young 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Cheers. I’ll probably leave Hamilton mid morning and gently make my way down there via the main road. After doing those I’m heading to Hawera for the night.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Dave Young
    Participant

@eddieb I’ve set out twice since your initial Meremere Track post to do this track but got side-tracked and ended up on other routes. Will try again in the next couple of weeks. If anyone wants to head out sooner and is looking for some company, just leave a message here on the Taranaki Rides thread and I’ll tag along.

Addo007
    Participant

I’ve done Meremere Track going back a few years ago but in a 4wd. I’m pretty sure they lock the gate at the start of the dirt section over winter, not sure the date it opens. Great road for adventure bikes, can be quite rough and has fantastic views. Writing about it now has actually made me decide to go and ride it soon. I’ll grab some photos etc when I do. I remember there being some long steep hills with clay/ papa surface which if it rained would be very slippery with big drop offs off the sides.

Dean Saunders
    Participant

I’m up there quite often hunting, the gate at the start of the road is closed through the winter months, fallow deer pigs and goats up there, not going to say where exactly.
    Pretty basic track, nothing exciting can do it all in a standard 4×4 easley. BUT if its wet put ya skates on its clay and slippery as [email protected]#k.
    Beware of 4×4 yahoos.

Dave Young
    Participant

I went for a bit of gravel riding this morning and came across the grader working on the roads branching off Wiremu Road leading up to the Egmont National Park boundary (Kahui and Parihaka roads; didn’t check Puniho or Saunders Road). I’m assuming all the lower coastal gravel roads will be getting the same treatment sometime this week.

Dave Young
    Participant

The sun finally appeared this afternoon and I hit the gravel roads on either side of the Stony River (Hangatahua). As I reported a couple of weeks ago, the grader has been along the roads and now they are a quite loose on the surface but good fun to ride.

Upper Parihaka Road
    Upper Parihaka Road

Upper Kahui Road and the Egmont National Park boundary
    Upper Kahui Road and the Egmont National Park

Dave Young
    Participant

I went for a little toddle yesterday to find some gravel for the wee bike and ended up out the Mt. Messenger way. Turning off SH3 at Ahititi I had the choice of going east inland to Ohura via the Tongaporutu-Ohura gravel road or head back south on the Kiwi, Moki and Kaka gravel roads. Kiwi Road won, mainly because I did the Tongaporutu-Ohura gravel road last week en route to 42 Traverse.

Kiwi Road

Kiwi Road had plenty of fresh gravel laid all the way up to the tunnel and I was pleased to see that very little papa clay was exposed in all the usual tricky spots. Being so dry with summer, I’m sure it would have been just fine to ride two-up on the R1200GS. A huge tree has fallen over the road but it was easy to pass underneath its span without any problem. The gravel from the tunnel down past the farms was nicely graded and the best I’ve see it in years. There are some roadworks going on at the junction of Kiwi and Makarakia roads with some heavy machinery parked up (it appears the bridge is getting some erosion protection from the river).

Moki Road had the same superb gravel surface as Kiwi. The twisty section down through the papa cliffs was just starting to show some corrugation but it was minimal.

Kaka Road was in good shape. This road sees more traffic than either Kiwi or Moki and it was a bit loose over the high country section but had settled by the time it got to the lower farms. There were a few potholes, but they were easily avoided unlike the suicidal goats who found it good sport to run recklessly out from the roadside and directly across my path! Does anyone have a good goat stew recipe to share with me?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.