fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Adventure Riding NZ Central Plateau weekend – March 20th-22nd 2015

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Adventure Riding NZ Central Plateau weekend – March 20th-22nd 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

A weekend of Central Plateau tracks including the famous 42nd Traverse,
    Fishers Track and Hikumutu Road, with other tracks to be confirmed possibly including Old Whangamomona Road.

Accomodation will be at the Taumaranui Holiday Park where 4 and 5 berth cabins are available, these usually work out at about $25 per person if all 4 beds are filled, there are also twin and double cabins. Book your own cabin/bunk amongst yourselves.

The holiday park is 6-8km out of Taumaranui which has a supermarket and takeaways etc are available, and the campground has all the basic kitchen amenities.

Meet at the Taumaranui Holiday Park Friday night for an 8:30am start Saturday morning at the BP 2GO on the main road.

RSVP on the event listing so we know who’s coming: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/events/207/taumaranui-42nd-traverse-fishers-track-etc-weekend/

The tracks we will be covering include gravel,river crossings, sand, dirt, possibly mud, grass and clay so proper knobbly tyres are required! no road tyres with wide grooves or else you’ll be pushing yourself. Each track linked to above contains a description and pictures and/or video of the terrain, it is your responsibility to be prepared!

Saturday Route – download a Routesheet or Garmin GPS Trackfile below
    Using Google Maps to do the route sheets I can only map up to the start of the 42nd Traverse. At the end of the 42nd Traverse in Owhango rides can head back to Taumaranui either via SH4, or by gravel via Kawatahi Road opposite the Owhango pub then first right into Hikumutu Road and riding that in the reverse direction to the morning.

View Larger Map

Sunday Route – download a Routesheet or Garmin GPS Trackfile below.
    Google has hiccuped here, the ride ends at the junction of SH43 and Kohuratahi Road and riders can make their way home from there. If you clikc on the link for a larger map the correct route is shown.
    For those heading North I may have some interesting roads to try out on the way.

View Larger Map

GPS and Routesheet files attached below!

Lunch on Saturday will be at the cafe beside the Service Station at National Park, on Sunday it may pay to pack something for on the road, just in case.

With recent weather it is possible several sections of the ride may be impassable, or too risky to safely ride. I reserve the right for us to skip those sections if I deem it too unsafe. In that event anyone who continues through the unsafe section does so at their own risk.
    The most likely sections to be reviewed would be the 42nd traverse and the Old Whangamomona Road.

Removed User

When?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Updated with dates @mark-wareham.

I have a cabin booked with myself & Jake Maryniak and 1 bed temporarily reserved for @Jennifer-Brodie.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wellington
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Yup, put me down as a starter. Probably tent it though.

Michael Eastwood
    Participant
    • Bike: CRF1000L

Actually, scrub that. I can’t make it mid week. Bugger..

She Wolfnz
    Participant

In like flint, yeehaa lets ride!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Facebook – michael.eastwood1 said:
    Actually, scrub that. I can’t make it mid week. Bugger..

It’s friday night/sat/sun? or get up early saturday and meet us then

Sharn
    Participant
    • Bike: WR250R

@facebook-michael-eastwood1

Come on don’t be shy, shirly we can get down on the Friday night. Brrrapp!

Eddieb
    Keymaster

7 signed up so far and indications are there could be another half dozen yet.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Just had a 5 day tour down there and rode all them trails on a CT110. If you go up the Whangamomona rd go over the bridge to somewhere and to the station 1km further. Ask them if you can do the other road back to Whangamomona. Great Fun.

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite> @Brainflex said:</cite>
    Just had a 5 day tour down there and rode all them trails on a CT110. If you go up the Whangamomona rd go over the bridge to somewhere and to the station 1km further. Ask them if you can do the other road back to Whangamomona. Great Fun.

The “Other Rd.” being this?

http://goo.gl/maps/PUuHy

Brainflex
    Participant

yep, that looks like it. No idea exactly as it wasn’t on my map. We did a load of tracks n back roads but my gps crapped out and I missed logging the rides. Centre of NZ, piropiro, Ongarue to Tamauranui, Hikumutu, 42nd (south to north), Oio, Raurimu-Kaikiete, Fishers, Kurua, Upper Retaruke, Kawautahi, Makokomiko, Kururau, Old Whangomomoma, Tangarakau (according to your track), Junction, Tarata, Otarao, Okoki, Kaiwaru, Kaka, Uruti, Moki, Kiwi, Okau, Waitaanga, Waitewhena, Aria Rds. All fantastic rides, no problems on any of these so well recommended. If they weren’t technically challenging they were swoopy and great fun to ride. If you want any other info on these roads just ask.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Brainflex said:
    yep, that looks like it. No idea exactly as it wasn’t on my map. We did a load of tracks n back roads but my gps crapped out and I missed logging the rides. Centre of NZ, piropiro, Ongarue to Tamauranui, Hikumutu, 42nd (south to north), Oio, Raurimu-Kaikiete, Fishers, Kurua, Upper Retaruke, Kawautahi, Makokomiko, Kururau, Old Whangomomoma, Tangarakau (according to your track), Junction, Tarata, Otarao, Okoki, Kaiwaru, Kaka, Uruti, Moki, Kiwi, Okau, Waitaanga, Waitewhena, Aria Rds. All fantastic rides, no problems on any of these so well recommended. If they weren’t technically challenging they were swoopy and great fun to ride. If you want any other info on these roads just ask.

A few of those will get added to the site in the next few weeks as I rode and tracked them over Christmas.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Brainflex said:

@glitch_oz said:
    The “Other Rd.” being this?

http://goo.gl/maps/PUuHy

Is there any way of getting pre-authorisation to do that or is the only way to just rock up?
    I’ve looked at it on the map and thought it would be a great track to do on this ride.

Brainflex
    Participant

I don’t know, See if you can contact Aotuhia Station 06 7625545 or maybe ask the landlord at Whangamomona Hotel 06 7625823, he rides and had some good suggestions for rides in the area.

We stopped at the shearers quarters on the station, only $15 per person, nothing flash but everything you need except food n bedding.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.