No products in the cart.

Home Forums Sidecars Sidecar Rides & Events The Distinguished Gentlemens Ride 2016 – Wgtn 25th Sept '16

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Box.a.Bits 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

I paid way too much attention to the weather forecasts for the last couple of days. In the end the event went ahead as expected – despite the occasional light drizzle. So much for washing the sidecar Saturday (which was a gorgeous day here BTW). At least I didn’t go nuts with the polish. I guess it really isn’t that kind of rig.

The timing of daylight savings this year was a bit rough (welcome though day light saving is). I don’t enjoy early Sunday morning starts. I may have intimated to Mandy that the ride was leaving earlier than it eventually did. Given the sponsorship riding on this I felt we needed to be early to give fair value – & not fight for parking.

223 riders registered for the Wellington event, plus a number that just showed up for the event. A really good mix of bikes – but more Triumphs & classic bikes than last year. We’ve raised $23,464 in Wellington (to date). My fundraising was just outside the top 10 for Wellington at $519. Thank you to all that sponsored us for this event. I really appreciate it. Here’s a selection of photos from the event – there’s more in my ride photos in the link at the end of this write up

Linda & her BSA Sunbeam Scooter

Peter Jamieson (rider organiser) & Ian Pike

Ian Pikes Gorgeous little BSA. Note the moustache.

Natty waistcoat, a spiffy double breasted suit, french cuff shirt. Pretty much a wasted effort. The gunslinger coat stayed on – because the day was full of occassional light showers.

Photo Courtesy of Tim Onnes

Mrs Box.a.bits had her bomber jacket, white scarf & striped brown trousers – a very seventies thing going on.

Nice to have room in the sidecar for umbrellas.

The picnic hamper was a definite hit, bungied on the sidecar rack. But the picnic blanket wasn’t ever going to work, given the rain. The salmon & pea club sandwiches were definitely a must do again. A thermos of hot water & the choice of plunger coffee or tea. Too many coffees for me had a predictable result.

Photo Courtesy of Tim Onnes – this Moped did the whole ride, & was faster than some of the scooters

The ride followed the usual route from Oriental Bay, round the bays to Chocolate Fish Cafe at Shelly Bay, then past Seatoun, round Lyall & Island Bay, stopped at the Bach Cafe, then to the Southern Cross Bar in Able Smith St.. I hope the Parkwise warden didn’t ticket too many people. A little mean spirited I thought, albeit that parking was tight.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.