fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

The Oil Thread

Home Forums General Discussion Gear The Oil Thread

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Motul, Castrol, Yamalube, Diesel oil etc etc, there are lots of options, some of them controversial. Some bikes just seem to work better with some oils than others, have your say.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Personally I’ve have a good run out of Motul oils. I owned and abused a GSXR250RRK for several years and it lived a lot of that time at it’s 17,000rpm redline. i took it to Cape Reinga and down 90 Mile Beach several times when it was still a corrugated dirt road to get there, and did a Brass Monkey trip from Hamilton keeping up with Ducati 900SS’s and the like.

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

I have read meany threads saying that light weight diesel oil is good 4 use in motorcycles (even wet clutch ones), I’m not going to say its not… but i will share what happen when i used light weight delo. Its great oil and i recommended it for anyone with diesel turbo vehicles and the heavery stuff 4none turbo… but when i changed my oil late last year i had read so many threads endorsing its use in motorcycles and i already had a big 20L container of it in the shed, i thought what the hec…
    Well all seemed fine. few short rides up to the shops an hour or 3 in the bush or padocks at home noworries. then i went a long day ride with some mates on modern 450 mx/dirtys, towards beer time 3ish the day was hot and my bike was getting there too. Hit the road to have a big wind out before packing it in for the day. Out the gate 1st 2nd 3rd 4th into 5th sliping button of then on, it stuck 6th big slip WTF eas the throttle and it eventually stuck. Anyways come home… beers with the boys.the hole time a lil worried thinking of pricing up clutch kits… one the bros asks what oil i was running? Followed by me redfaced and them laughing. Next morning we head out to some of the hill out the back once i got to normal running temp i had no chance of 3rd gear climbs where i would normally be able too, with out the clutch strating to slip. I was pretty gutted came home jumped on line looking at clutch kits. Jason come up from the padock, “”i got a new bottle of wet clutch oil in the back of the ute it yours lets give it a try”” “”oh and stop being a sad sak, ya f4g””. 50 minutes latter i was climbing hill again with no slipage at all with a bottle of castrol oil in the bike and a big smile on my fase. That was a year ago since then i have climbed many hills and had no troubles in top on the road even when i went up a tooth at the front. I’m not saying not to use diesel oil but i am saying i wont put it in my 29year old honda.
    If it dosen’t say wet clutch on the bottle is it worth the risk?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.