fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

The old Dunstan gold trail

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports The old Dunstan gold trail

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kenny013
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

Can anyone advise me on the route from Clarks junction to Paerau to Moa Creek on the South Island.
    In the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas it is described as rough and not ideal for doing alone.
    As I’m on a fully packed KTM 990 I would like to know can I do it alone and how hard is it?

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

I’ve done part of the Old Dunstan Road and while it was quite bumpy the parts I did I would happily ride alone. There was nothing in what I did that was technically difficult but it is fairly remote.

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite> @Kenny013 said:</cite>
    Can anyone advise me on the route from Clarks junction to Paerau to Moa Creek on the South Island.
    In the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas it is described as rough and not ideal for doing alone.
    As I’m on a fully packed KTM 990 I would like to know can I do it alone and how hard is it?

No probs.
    Some pics and info from post #127 in this thread (going west to east)
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3990&highlight=dunstan&page=26

More here, going east-to west a year later, post #44 onwards
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4585&highlight=dunstan&page=9

Kenny013
    Participant

Thanks guys now see if it fits in the scheme and route.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

If you capture it on GPS I’d be keen on a copy for the website.

Kenny013
    Participant

Sorry Edward, skipped on the ride as I did a stupid Albatross colony tour at Dunedin.
    As you can guess wouldn’t recommend it.
    Though had a very nice ride on the North Island, North Taranaki.
    On the road from Waitaanga to Ahititi between Kotare and Okau go south, Kiwi road, beautiful valley with nice little tunnels.
    Sorry don’t have the GPS track, Garmin decided to overwrite it.
    Back in Auckland, journey in New Zealand is over, had a great time but there’s too much to see for 7 weeks.
    Blog (going to be updated) and photo’s on http://www.stanswebsite.nl

Jimmy With 2 Eyes
    Participant

This is best done the 1st weekend of winter eh’!!!! bit of ice & snow never hurt anyone right…………………

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.