fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki The Trail Tech Vapour on the DR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ross Unwin
    Participant

Have just finished fitting the Vapour unit and the “Dashboard” to the Dr and everything seems to be working ok, I did 158 kms on it today and its reading 5 kmh slow compared to the stock speedo (still fitted) but thats just a matter of playing with the front tyre size input value but what was interesting was the odometer was only 1 km different over the same distance. ??????

Stephan Sloane
    Participant

Ive found the Vapor to be pretty close to actual-better than the factory speedo. How did you mount the unit and how what temperature are you running at?

Ross Unwin
    Participant

I used the mount from this site http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=top_clamps_01 Also includes a mount for the dash unit as well. It sits above the stock speedo so Ive left it on, very handy for calibration plus it allows me to keep the distance traveled since new. Access is still do-able for the key, I have to reach under the bar from the right side to do it though but still able to lock the steering. The engine temp sender that is supposed to fit under the spark plug (Not enough room in the plug recess) is under one of the Banjo bolts on the oil line but still havnt got that reading sorted yet. Im not worried about the eng temp anyway. The ambient air temp is reading about 20deg too high and changes all the time while riding going up and down so the unit has a fault there but not much I can do about it.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R80 G/S, R100GS & M72 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Ross, it’s possible to to set the mileage on the Vapor to match the bike’s original speedo. That’s what I have done to Gus. You do that in the initial set up screens. I’ve got the process recorded somewhere if you can’t figure it out.

It’s normal for the OEM speedos to run up to 10% optimistic – meet legal requirements. ODO are usually much more accurate.

The ambient air temp is impacted by being next to an LED. Its accepted that that will be a few degrees (up to 5) optimistic as well. Trailtech are aware its an issue. I’ve never bothered getting the engine temp going either.

It’ll be interesting to compare vapor speed to my new GPS. I think it’ll be fairly accurate.

Ross Unwin
    Participant

Yeah, its just a matter of playing around with the initial program value, Ive reduced it by 100 but havnt had a chance to check it yet. Im heading down south to CHCH next week for a couple of days on it so will have plenty of chances to fiddle with the value.

Michael J Breen
    Participant

On every vehicle I have, the speedo is optimistic. Some are terrible like my Ducati Hypermotard which reads about 10kph higher than it’s actually doing compared to a gps. The best are my KTM690 which is only a few kph out and our Suzuki Grand Vitara which is about 4kph out at 100kph

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.