fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Gear The Tyre Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Everyone has their own opinion on what is the best tyre for their bike/terrain/riding style etc.

Have your say or ask questions about adventure tyres here.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I need a new front tyre for the DR as my MT21 currently fitted has worn really weird and 1/4 of the tyre is bald but the other 3/4 is still got 50% tread.

I’m on a budget so looking for a cheap tyre, What are peoples thoughts on the Bridgestone TW301?

http://www.boydmotorcycles.co.nz/store/ProductDetails.aspx?n=Front-Tyre-Bridgestone-Trail-Wing-TW301-275×21&p=106440&t=4&c=71145

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Ended up with a TKC80 front, which in my experience is about the best front tyre for mixed adventure riding.

I went down to Boyd Motorcycles yeterday and they had a 90/90/21 front in stock and it was $176, given I was looking at $140-$150 anyway the extra $26 was nothing. I’m sure the last one I bought was a lot more than that.

Cullum Campbell-Morrison
    Participant

How are you finding the tkc80. I’m looking to replace my trailwings shortly and probably will go for them front and rear. I ride about 20-30km a day on seal as my commute but like to head onto the gravel around palmy when I can.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@cullum_campbell-morrison said:
    How are you finding the tkc80. I’m looking to replace my trailwings shortly and probably will go for them front and rear. I ride about 20-30km a day on seal as my commute but like to head onto the gravel around palmy when I can.

I have always rated the TKC80 on the front as about the best front adventure tyre you can get. I’ve run them on airhead gs’s, KTM950, DR650 and never had an issue on them and they could handle fast road cornering right the the edge of the grip on the 950.

On the rear it depends on what you are riding and how you ride, they are still a great tyre but melt like butter on a hot day with any decent use. My last TKC80 rear on the 950 lasted 8 days/3500 km touring the south island and that wasn’t just worn to the wear indicators, the metal strands of the carcass where coming through.
    I find the Mitas E-09 far better value for money on the rear and the Mitas E-07 even more so.

Cullum Campbell-Morrison
    Participant

Good to hear. Will have a look at them

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

+1 for TKC80 which i am also still running up front. Don’t use it in the rear, too expensive for fast wearing. I am using a Dunlop D606 which is really good. My next set is a matched pair of new Dunlop D909 Rally Raid. I’ve heard amazing things about them but usually too expensive for most people to bother with. I know the Dunlops are very good on the road for knobblies, and very aggressive tread offroad. Got the set free with a purchase from a fellow rider, so may as well try them out!

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R100GS & Velorex 562 Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Eddie, did you spin the MT21 around at all? That’s the trick with managing wear on those. They are uni-directional.I get about 6500kms out of a front. Wouldn’t bother with the rear.

Lambo
    Participant

I’m running TKC80 front and back but the rear is near shot (Pack Spur Road in the wet proved that.) Front is like brand new. I have had a reasonable run but am looking at possible swapping the rear for more on road slant. Most of riding is on road and gravel with the few dirt excursions so still don’t want to not go full 90/10 split but more of 50/50.
    Options I have narrowed it down to;
    Mitas E07
    Heidenau K60
    Motoz Tractionator Adventure (Used the endure version on RMZ250 and liked it so intrigued about these)
    or sticking with TKC80 (always an option)
    Any experience in these tyres ideally if you have run multiple and can offer your view would be great.

Gremlin
    Participant

Running a 110/80/19 and 150/70/17 combo, I’ve used the K60 and E07, neither to maximum life (K60 got 10776km and more to go, but not worth re-fitting at a later date) and the E07 I’ve only done 3750km so far. The K60 has a stiffer tougher carcass than the E07, so while it handles airing down better, I didn’t like it’s sealed road wet weather grip (to the point of being scary). The K60 would likely get a longer life, but I’d trade some of that for better grip. So for me, so far anyway, E07 better than K60.

Lambo
    Participant

Yeah I have heard the K60 is a bit interesting on wet road. As the tyre changes depending on size the 130/80-17 doesnt have the continous line down middle so unsure what difference that makes.

Gremlin
    Participant

<cite>@Lambo said:</cite>
    Yeah I have heard the K60 is a bit interesting on wet road. As the tyre changes depending on size the 130/80-17 doesnt have the continous line down middle so unsure what difference that makes.

It’s mostly around longevity. The bigger heavier bikes chew tyres out, so the centre ridge helps reduce that. Block movement generates heat, heat speeds up tyre wear. The E07 in my size also has a centre ridge but it’s stepped, so as the tyre wears the centre ridge first becomes continuous, then grows wider.

Ridge won’t affect grip for the most part on sealed roads (cornering), but obviously both tyres will have a weak spot for mud/clay or anything else where the ridge stops the tyre from biting down.

Scott Livingston
    Participant

If your adventure riding only includes gravel roads and dry tracks then Avon Trailriders are worth considering. These are what I replaced the worn out Mitchelin T63s on my DR650 with and to be honest I have not noticed any less grip on the gravel but they have a whole lot more grip on the road. This suits me as I use my bike as primary transport but might not suit others who prefer a tyre that will keep them upright on wet dirt or sand.

Badjelly
    Participant

Thoughts from the hive mind on a mt21 front paired with Kenda track master rear?

I ran the stock Grittys on my drz and they were ok off road and not terrible on road, am now running Shinko 804/5 which are good on road and tolerable off road… but looking for someone more like a trail tyre for summer riding. Suggestions welcome!

thanks

oghood
    Participant

Hi, I am looking for replacing my trailwings whick are almost worn out on my dr650 from stock.

Basically they’ve been good to me, from up north now im in dunedin. 8000+km. Lots of gravel and dirt, not so much mud / sand.

I am leaning towards a tkc80 front and mitas e07 rear. I need some tires that’ll go good for the trip back up and then will be used for commuting on the road and afternoons / weekends exploring. Probably around 50/50.

Any downsides to the tkc80 on tarseal? Anything comparable to e07 for dual purpose and longevity?..

Thanks
    Olly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.