fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

The "Ultimate South Island ADV-Ramble"

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports The "Ultimate South Island ADV-Ramble"

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    glitch_oz
    Participant

Hi guys

Planning a South Island trip, most likely late March ’16.
    Yo….still a long way off but I’ve got a fairly decent track-record of making long-term plans… and sticking to ’em!

This also involves a small bunch of AusTouring folks, possibly a local or 2….a group of about 6-8.
    It involves flights and logistics to get a group like that into Chch….and back home again at the end of the trip.
    It also involves the 100’s of little (and bigger) things to keep them moving for 2 weeks.
    Having done a similar thing in 20112 and 2013, I’m familiar with some of the usual ADVroutes of the SI.
    The aim this time is to start + finish in Chch, zipping north towards Picton on day1… then work our way south, roughly zig-zagging to stitch together the best ADV tracks/ roads towards Otago and ultimately, the Southland. If at all possible, I’d love to string together the dirt/ gravel stretches with some exceptional sealed twisties/ narrow, single-laners preferred.
    Scenic stuff is also right up the top of the list, speed waaaayyy down!

Things can’t get too rough, as we’ll be on hire-bikes!! No single track stuff!!

The rough idea:
    Start + finish Chch
    Bikes are hire DR650/XT660R….or smaller, if possible.
    Time: 2 weeks in March/ early April
    Accommodation: pubs, cabins, motor camps, will bring own sleeping bags etc. NO tent!!

I figure 1 day for the commute, 9-10 days for the North-to-South drift, 3 days or so for the Southland and making it back to Chch.

Hope you guys can help with some recommendations re: routes/ roads/ places/ pubs/ etc.
    Google maps stuff would be best…or just names and a rough location that I can google for myself.

Thanks
    cheers
    Pete

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.