Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

TomTom 550 Rider or Garmin?

Home Forums Riding All things GPS TomTom 550 Rider or Garmin?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter Wiles
    Participant

I’m relatively new to NZ, offroad riding and this website! Although a Garmin motorbike-friendly navigator would seem the right choice because of the downloadable tracks here, I’ve used TomToms previously, and liked them. I’d appreciate any advice on both makes’ navigators, before making a decision.

Pete W

sabin brewer
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wanganui

Hi there I have had a tomtom 400 it went fine till it got moisture inside it? I sent it bak and they sent me a new one but it did the same, so next time I will look at a Garmin thanks

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

I know nothing about the TomTom Rider but I’d do some research on it being able to go off-road. Many non tramping or sealed road centric GPS just get confused if you aren’t on a sealed road, including some of the car specific Garmin models.

Besides that I’d go for Garmin in NZ, not just for the tracks here but also for the weekly updated free maps from the NZ Open GPS Project.

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Cheers, Sabin and Eddie. I’ll have a good look at Garmin, I think.

Pete

Bernard
    Participant
    • Bike: Ktm 1290 Super Adventure S,klr650

I have had Tomtoms,and 2 Navmans(car ones-not motorcycle specific ones)I`m a cheap bast#@d! in a Givi gps case mounted on my handlebars,both failed pretty quickly-probably vibration,but my under $200 Garmin one is still going strong after 2 years.

Peter Wiles
    Participant

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for that. As soon as we’re out of Level 3 I’ll be having a look at the Garmins.

Pete

RMKREH
    Participant
    • Bike: Royal Enfield Himalayan.

I am interested in a TomTom Rider 550 but am not computer savvy.

If you go off-route what does it do?

Do you need a computer to enter your own route?

Thanks.

Malcolm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.