No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Touring New Zealand

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tranquilo Jonny
    Participant

I have recently completed a 15 month trip Deadhorse, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina and a few points in between on my Triumph Tiger 800 XC. A great bike but not brilliant in deep gravel, sand or mud has a tendency to fall over, also can’t pick it up without help. I am coming to New Zealand for 4 months or so from the UK, looking for advice on what bike to get thinking something like a Yamaha WR250R, want to tour the whole country and go everywhere. Any advice on a suitable bike, where to go and any clubs I should contact would be most helpful and gratefully received, many thanks

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S, CB500X

Hi Jonny
    There’s a list of members bikes on here somewhere. Iirc more than half are Suzuki dr650s. You will likely be able to pick one up second hand when you get here for less than the cost of a wr250. Have a look at trade me.co.nz if you haven’t already. Many of the older bikes will be all set up for your tour. Easy to get fixed if you have a problem. A bit lighter than a tiger. Wr250 or drz400 also good choices as you can get racks bashplates etc for them . Drz250 also would be OK on back roads bit will struggle a bit with you and gear on hills and in the wind.

Good luck feel free to ask questions here.

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

Hi Jonny,

Looking forward to have a beer with you in New Zealand, when are you looking to land here?
    OldBeer is right, the DR650 is probably your best choice, these have stopped being sold in europe due to non compliant emissions but here they are an adventure rider’s workhorse. best thing about them, you can fix almost everything with a set of spanners and a hammer…

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Welcome Jonny.

I also agree with the above as the DR650 is one of the most popular adv/dual sport bikes here and it’s a good compromise of road manners and off road ability.

DR650’s on trademe
    Adventure/dual sports section on trademe.co.nz

Do you have a blog/ride report of your trip to Ushuaia? that trip is on my bucket list, I’d like to do it on a sidecar.

enduro0627
    Participant
    • Bike: 2014KLR650EE

Hello,
    As the old Hungarian proverb goes…. “Every gypsy praising his own horse”.
    Go for the KLR650. Affordable (even a new one), awesome petrol range (420-470km),does everything, takes you everywhere, easy on maintenance, easy to strap your luggage on the rack what it is coming with. Good weather protection by the decent windscreen and fairing.
    Downside? Nothing. OK just joking. You need crash bars on it and decent handguards. Change the light bulbs to Narva Plus 50 Longer Life for running light and the high beam with a Narva Plus 100. Somewhat heavier than a DR but still can be lifted on your own (experience.)
    You can give me a nudge (Private message through the site) when you are here and need some help in AKL.
    Andrew

Tranquilo Jonny
    Participant

Thanks for that certainly looking for a lighter bike more fun on the gravel want to enjoy the back roads and not fight them, happy at 60 on the tarmac, also travel light always carry more stuff than is needed

Tranquilo Jonny
    Participant

Look forward to meeting for a beer, like the idea of being able to fix a bike on the side of the road, knackered with a bike like The Tiger electronics a nightmare

Eddieb
    Keymaster

🙂 Check out this section of the site also, you might find a member or 2 happy to accomodate you on your travels.

Members offering bedspace or other assistance

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@enduro0627 said:
    Hello,
    As the old Hungarian proverb goes…. “Every gypsy praising his own horse”.
    Go for the KLR650. blah blah blah 😉
    Andrew

Andrews choice is also good, and out of the box probably a better buy, there are less KLR’s in NZ than DR’s which is really the only reason why I suggested the DR.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.