fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Tubed vs tubeless

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Tubed vs tubeless

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    matty_john
    Participant

Hi guys&girls new to scene but wondered pros/cons of tube vs tubeless one thing i wondered was wouldnt it be easier goin tubeless for puncture repair …just plug vs tyre levers etc???
    Cheers matt

sabin brewer
    Participant
    • Town/City: Wanganui

Hi there all sometimes tubeless is not good if get a big hole in your tyre and you can’t plug it?And if it comes off the bead some pumps won’t blow the tyre out to the bead? That’s why I think a tube is better sometimes you don’t have to take it off the bike to fix the tube just hang it out the side? That’s my thoughts on that one,

matty_john
    Participant

Good points cheers

ADV77
    Participant
    • Bike: 2019 KTM 790 Adventure R

Also, having tubed tires you can run them lower psi than the tubeless tires if you had to.

Casperpete
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 390 Adventure 2020

For me its relatively simple. When did you last have a tube in your car tyre. If you ride a modern road bike same applies – tubeless tech has taken over. Once you go off road though the rules change. Much higher chance of a puncture and you may have to fix it yourself. On my mountain bike, where I have greatest experience, I stay with tubes because of confidence in my ability to look after myself. Most people riding tubeless carry a tube for emergencies. I think this applies to motorbikes also. Biggest issue for me is getting the tyre off and on and that’s the area I’m looking for advice on as we can’t just flip a 150 – 250kg adv bike upside down!!

mike_shaw
    Participant
    • Town/City: Hastings

I’ve had some poor experiences with tubeless tyres offroad. I only go with tubes now. Carry tyre levers puncture repair kit, pump and a can of tyre sealant. Always gets me home.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.