fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Vehicle modifications and the requirement for certification

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Vehicle modifications and the requirement for certification

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

I’ve seen quite a few comments recently about how WOF tests are becoming more strict and vehicles are being failed for mods that previously haven’t been an issue.

In the bike world I’ve heard of a adventure bike being rejected for a WOF because certification is required for bar risers, and in the 4wd world I’ve read of a number of vehicles in the last month or so being failed for a WOF for not having the standard alloy rims fitted.

Adventure bikes are possibly the most modified class of bikes on the market in NZ, dare I suggest even more so than Harleys, so is what I’m hearing just a small hiccup by a few over zealous testers or is making your adventure bike fit you and be more capable about to become a lot harder and/or expensive?

Have you experienced this or know of someone who has? Post your experiences below.

Peter Dawson
    Participant

Led headlight bulbs are illegal ? Even though they allow you to see better at night and be seen !?

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 R1200GSA, 2018 1090R

<cite> @Peter Dawson said:</cite>
    Led headlight bulbs are illegal ? Even though they allow you to see better at night and be seen !?

Well that’s an easy one. Yes, they’re illegal if it’s not OEM, or a complete headlamp replacement.

Ed, as for things like bar risers, I find it hard to believe. The rules are not subjective, they’re black and white, all in the VIRM. For example, bar risers are under steering, and there is the LVV table (9-1-1) that spells out what requires LVV: https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/motorcycles/steering-and-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems

Night Falcon
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 TRIUMPH Tiger 800XC

bar risers seems a little hard to believe when there are so many Harley’s with ape-hangers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.