Welcome to the Forums.

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 97 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Xenia Sägesser 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

@jennifer-brodie would be pretty happy at those speeds too, on the gravel she is still getting comfortable so likes a cruisy ride, and I’m happy cruising, or I could bring my sidecar out also.

bluemoose69
    Participant
    • Bike: Tiger 800xc

Hi, I’m a new biker (I figure my last 30 years off a bike makes me new again) and in the process of immigrating from the US with my family and DRZ-400E. I have done a lot of Jeeping over here (and some when we visited Central Otago, but don’t tell Hertz 😉 ), but now I’m switching to the DRZ. Anyways, we don’t know where we are going to land yet, but certainly looking forward to seeing even more of your beautiful country.

Some states over here don’t allow the DRZ-400E to be licensed for on-road use (mine does), does anyone know of any issues with DRZ’s being street legal in NZ?

Thanks,

Jason

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Welcome to NZ!

DRZ’s in general are plentiful in NZ, but the E is the enduro which doesn’t come with indicators etc as standard?

I’m not sure specifically whether that model can be legally made road legal or not.

If it is possible you’ll have to change the headlight as you guys ride on the wrong side of the road so the beam will dip in the wrong direction 😉

Wouldn’t it be easier to buy one here and just ship over any after market bits you want to bolt onto it?

bluemoose69
    Participant
    • Bike: Tiger 800xc

It does have all the indicators and lights to make it road legal in most states (aftermarket), so I’m feeling fairly good about it’s chances. As far as shipping the aftermarket parts, well, that would be most of the bike, so I might as well keep it together. I guess it’s going to come down to if we bring over a container for our stuff, or just put our stuff in storage state-side for a bit to determine if we want to stay long term. (not worth shipping for 3 years, but certainly for 5-10)

Based on the prices on TradeMe, with shipping, my US bike will be cheaper. Even looking new, a DZR400 is $6900 NZD here in the states, but looks like they are selling for $9500 NZD.

Haha, yes, it took me 3 days to just get moderately comfortable on the other side of the pavement. 🙂 I think we can tweak the direction of the bulb to not blind any Kiwis…

zaTTaz
    Participant
    • Bike: CBR250RR, DR350, WR450

E model is fine. Will cost you a couple of hundred to get it legal here, not including replacing your headlight, which you will have to do as part of the process. No tweaking sorry bud. They will go over your bike with a fine tooth comb so everything needs to be tip top.

If you’re not bringing a container, by the time you ship and get it legal, then ship back, it would probably be cheaper to buy here. There are not many on trademe at the moment in general, but setup ones do pop up, including the enduro model.

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

I haven’t posted in here I think so here goes. Jef from Ahipara…way way in the far north. Ride with the northland crew mostly or on me own. Have the only Buell Ulysses XB12XP Police Duty in NZ (only made 137 and several are junked/crashed). Mine has the full siren and lights kit too, but its my DD. For ADV riding and usually winter riding, I hop on my other stallion, a 2009 BMW g650x challenge. Another rare bike, but few of them around in NZ. Gotta love light weight, RTW capable, solid reliability of the 650 rotax.

Big ups again to you Eddie, nevermind those NGARNZ doofs, and cheers for the Central Plateau Ride…was great fun. Hope I’m around for the Northland ride, as I might be working overseas (boat and traditional voyaging canoe skipper).

JoeSlow
    Participant
    • Bike: DR-Z400E

Hi Everyone!

My names Joe and I want to be an adventure motorcycle rider.

I live in Whakatane and have just got a spanking new DR-Z400E, and I’m so looking forward to exploring all the places I’m too scared to take my road bike. I’ve got alot of new skills to learn, but that’s half the fun in the challenge I guess.

This site looks awesome, and some great info, good job!

ntst8
    Participant
    • Bike: XT660Z Tenere

A quick intro, Hamilton based and have had a 660 Tenere for a few months now. Have been a road rider for 30 years but the gravel beckons.
    This site looks to be a great resource, especially for those of us new to the game.
    cheers
    iain.

PJay
    Participant
    • Bike: 2015 Triumph Scrambler, 1973 XL250, 1974 OSSA Explorer, 2003 Adventurised Royal Enfield, others

New on this site but old in every other way.

After 40 consecutive seasons of road racing, about 6 years ago I decided to return to my roots and do a lot more backroads riding (grew up and owned my first couple of bikes whilst living at the far end of a long gravel road).

Still do a bit of classic and post-classic racing, but mainly at selected events just to catch up with old mates.

Now, many years ago Iused to do a lot of road trials – backroads and paper roads, with average speeds set for sections (those who’re older will recall the Shell 500 and Shell 800 etc). I won a few, and marked out a few.

Is there any appetite for that form of competition any more?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I imagine there would be some appetite, how large I have no idea. I guess the TT2000 is kind of that concept.

What sort of legal obligations would running something like that have?

Night Falcon
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 KTM EXC530 Adventure :-)

Greetings one and all!
    I have been a long time stalker of this site and finally decided to come out the closet….in a manner of speaking. Can’t get a profile picture to upload just yet so you cant perve at my 530 EXC I’ve been adventurising. I know some of the inmates here, but look forward to riding along with some of you others at some point. This is a cool site and even has spell checker so ya know its quality 🙂
    Cheers and good gardening
    Night Falcon

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Night Falcon said:
    Can’t get a profile picture to upload just yet so you cant perve at my 530 EXC I’ve been adventurising.

What was the filename of your profile pic? There are issues with the Profile pic upload that I am still working on. I think the files are being loaded but not associated as the users profile pic. I can have a look and see if your pic loaded.

Post up your 530 build: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/subject/bikes/ktm/

Martin Worswick
    Participant

hi everyone,

i’ve been lurking around here for a short while,i’m currently browsing for my first bike and i’m keen on a dual sport.i was keen on a ktm but it is not lams approved,a few dr650’s have cropped up in my price range on trade me recently so maybe…

this a great site,heaps of information available without hunting for it,hopefully i’ll be downloading some of those waypoints soon,i’m located in arrowtown and there looks to be some great rides locally

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@martin_worswick said:
    hi everyone,

i’ve been lurking around here for a short while,i’m currently browsing for my first bike and i’m keen on a dual sport.i was keen on a ktm but it is not lams approved,a few dr650’s have cropped up in my price range on trade me recently so maybe…

this a great site,heaps of information available without hunting for it,hopefully i’ll be downloading some of those waypoints soon,i’m located in arrowtown and there looks to be some great rides locally

Hi Martin

A DR will still go every a KTM will, just maybe not as fast.
    Check out this thread for recording and contributing tracks down your way, you don’t necessarily need a GPS, you can record tracks using a Android phone with a free app.

Contributing Tracks

Feel free to ask any questions you’ve got, that’s what this site is for.

Sage650
    Participant

Hi all.
    Just found the site and have gone through a lot of the other pages, some great info you have here. I’m looking forward to watching (and participating) the site grow.
    I have a 2003 Dakar 650 which I’ll be riding around on all over the place. Hope to meet some of you on the trail.
    Sage

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.