fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 125 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  harrywatson 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)
  • Author

Josef Burgey
    Participant

Hello OldBeer,
    thank you for your tips.
    Which route would you recommend from Napier to Wellington.
    Would the 52 over Masterton OK, or should I choose another route?
    Thank you for your help.
    Greetings, Joseph

OldBeer
    Participant

Hi Joseph
    I haven’t ridden that road on a bike yet but it’s on my list to do. I believe it’s a very good route. So yes, go on SH 52.

JamesGale
    Participant

I’ve traveled SH52 hundreds of time (car and bike). It’s a nice ride. Just be ready for the twisty stuff on the Rimutaka Hill.

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks James!

JamesGale
    Participant

SH52 has actually been renamed to SH2. (That’ll help depending on how old your maps are).
    I usually take SH50 out of Napier, which then joins with SH2. There are a few nice distractions along the way.
    You could cross over to the west coast. There are some nice coastal views, but the new Kapiti Expressway is a bit boring to ride.

Xenia Sägesser
    Participant

Hey everyone

We are a couple from Switzerland, who are riding our two Yamaha XT660 (I ride an R version and my boyfriend the Ténéré) towards New Zealand at the moment. At the moment we are in India and will ship our bikes by the end of the year to your beautiful country. On the 21st of January we will fly into Auckland and have around 3 month to travel around before we head to Australia.

It would be great to catch up with some of you guys while we are on the road and we might have one or two questions about some good offroad tracks

In case you would like to check out what we did so far you can do so here:
    http://www.xtadventures.ch
    http://www.facebook.com/xtadventures
    http://www.instagram.com/xtadventures
    http://www.youtube.com/c/xtadventures – we make a video about every country we visited so far (well a little behind now haha)

Cheers from North India
    Xenia & Tinu

Attachments:

OldBeer
    Participant

Hi Xenia

Look forward to catching up when you get here, there are lots of nice back roads and quite a few tracks that you can get lost in. Plenty to see and do in both islands.

Let us know when you have your dates for arriving in NZ and we can arrange to meet.

Cheers

Xenia Sägesser
    Participant

Hey OldBeer 🙂
    Thanks a lot! We are looking forward to explore the two islands. We arrive on the 21st of January in Auckland and will head to the South Islamd as soon as our bikes arrrive 🙂
    Cheers

bigkuri
    Participant

Hi everyone

I’m a returning Kiwi, after having finished Uni and disappearing to the UK, Europe, and USA for 20 years. Things have changed a bit since I’ve been gone! New to Auckland being an Otago farm boy at heart. And of course a bike nut. Through racing, and years of doing up bikes and on-selling as a hobby I’ve tallied up 75 bikes owned. My current main bike is a KTM1190R which I shipped over with me from the UK.

Pictures speak a thousand words:

Loved that last bike, and the Erzberg was fun 😀

Hopefully get to meet some of you here: looking out for ride outs 🙂

Cheers! 🙂
    Warrick

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Nice!, where is the stairway?

bigkuri
    Participant

It’s close to Erfoud. See info here 🙂

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/morocco-stairway-to-heaven-and-other-innovative-desert-structures.231286/

It was an epic day seeing these nutty art forms. That stairway is actually a house – has a massive angel with spread wings inside it. Loved it 🙂

Eion
    Participant

hi guys,

great to find a site dedicated to Adventure riding, I have owned a few bikes over the years from cruisers through to sport bikes (08 R1) to my last bike a honda st1300 touring bike. After going to thailand and riding a 2015 v-strom 650, two up from Chang mai over the mountain range (762 corners) to a place called Pai, I was sold on the duel purpose bike. Why? because some of the off road/goat tracks that we went on detour off road would not have been possible on my previous bikes one up let alone two up. So when we came back the mission was on to find myself a duel purpose bike. I rode the 2018 v-strom for a ride and found it a little light on the road for my liking, next I rode the 2018 Triumph tiger Explorer, for me this was the bike I would be looking at. After searching bike shops, trade me etc, I finally found A 2013 triumph tiger Explorer with good kms, Now just setting it up for a trip to the South Island over christmas time.
    Info I need at the moment is what are the best tires for on road 90% off road 10%? Mitas E07s? who in Auckland sells them? any other ideas would be most helpfull.
    thanks
    Eion

Attachments:

bigkuri
    Participant

Welcome matey. E07 is more like 60-40 not 90-10. If you can find them the Goldentyre GT201 are great.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Charl Potgieter
    Participant

Hi all,

We moved to NZ a month ago from South Africa and currently stay in Whanganui. I did quite a bit of adventure riding the SA and can’t wait to get on the dirt roads once my bike arrives mid Jan’19 with the rest of our stuff.

My current ride is a 2017 Honda Africa Twin (DCT). Previous bikes were BMW R1100S Sport (x2), BMW R1200GSA, BMW F650GS, KTM 950 Super Enduro and a BMW R1200GS LC.

Hope to meet up with some of you soon and hit the trail!

Charl

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.