No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 116 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Welcome Charl

I’m wondering if I need to start a SA Expat section in the forums somewhere, there’s a lot of you here now.

Charl Potgieter
    Participant
    • Bike: Honda Africa Twin

Sounds good! We could have a meet and ride weekend.

Keep safe!

paul_balcombe
    Participant
    • Bike: 690 SMC-R

Hi Gents

My name is Paul and I have just moved back from OZ after spending 20 years working in Melb and Bris since I was 18.

I have always been a road rider but I have always wanted to get into adventure riding and now I’m living in Tasman I’m going to get into it.

I currently ride a 690SMC-R which I really like but I’m going to sell it to get the Enduro with proper wheel size.

harrywatson
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Hey great Paul,
    do you have a question or a story. I like adventure riding because I see it as a
    challenge ‘of the self’. you can ride solo or with others. In my town, it’s an adventure
    getting to work on my bike, here in Masterton.

Brent Walker
    Participant
    • Bike: Honda Africa CRF1000

Hi All
    I’m Brent from Canterbury. I ride a Honda CRF1000.. had it for a year now and love getting off the seal. Be great to catch up with others around Canterbury for a ride or two sometime.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

welcome new folks

If you check out this section: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/subject/riding/organise-a-ride-or-event/

There are ride topics for each region around New Zealand. If you are planning on heading out for a ride post in the relevant regional topic and hopefully some other riders will meet up to join you.

Brent Walker
    Participant
    • Bike: Honda Africa CRF1000

I will definitely do that the next time I go out

Brook
    Participant

Hello there adventureridingnz community! Just found your forums last night and thought what a great place to start! I have done a little riding over the years but consider myself new to the sport/hobby/lifestyle…. I am in the process of the search for my first adv bike. Totally get it’s about personal preference, and what fits you as a rider, but are there some I should perhaps steer clear on as a newbie and a tight budget, for higher service cost, parts perhaps getting a little exotic – for example have just seen a for $6k a BMW F650GS Dakar 2001 on TM with 38000km on it.. vs a Tenere XT660 2009 100000km 7k
    Thank you in advance
    Brook

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

Hi Brook and welcome aboard. Might be handy to know generally whereabouts in NZ you are based….

Some thoughts from a not very experienced “adventure” rider.

1. Whatever bike you have now is an adventure bike if you take it on an adventure – see the vid someone just posted on the Nevis road – ridden on a bog standard VStrom, sold as an adventure bike but really a road bike and on road tyres to boot. Also many examples of people riding postie bikes across the desert etc etc. However, if you want an excuse to buy another or different bike, well then we can all relate to that.
    2. What do you consider to be an adventure? Do you want to ride really off road stuff with lots of boggy puddles, axle deep in mud, steep up and down hills on slippery surfaces, sand dunes etc? Or do you just want get off the beaten track and ride some cool gravel roads and maybe do a little bike camping? I would choose a different bike depending on what I wanted do. For the former, I would choose something I can pick up easily – DrZ400 or smaller. Suzuki are known for their reliability and are cheap to buy, work on and repair (disclaimer – I am a bit biased, just onto my 5th Suzi.) For the latter, pretty much anything will be fine, provided you are not trying to actually win the Dakar race, i.e. happy to take your time.
    3. The bikes you mention would in the right hands be perfectly capable of either type of riding as has been proven by many you tube vids but, if you are a relative newbie (no offence intended) then you might find them a bit heavy if you intend to go properly off road. Maybe try something lighter like a 250 to begin with and see if that kind of riding is really your cup of tea.
    4.If you cant bear the thought of anything smaller than a 650 then I would add the Suzi dr650 to your list. You can pick up very well specced examples for that money. Its by far the most common choice of riders on this forum. Somewhere on here there’s a list of what bikes people ride, I think more than half are DR650s and the all the other bikes make up the rest. Same probably goes for the KLR650 – cheap, ubiquitous, reliable and fairly bullet proof. If you still intend to take these bikes off road a gym membership might be handy.

Bottom line for me is that the decision is not too critical because buying and selling second hand motor bikes is relatively easy in NZ (provided you are prepared to be realistic about your pricing) thanks to Trademe. IF you dont like it, flog and get something else. You are probably going to end up doing that anyway as you work out what kind of riding you want to be doing. And with the kind of bikes we are talking about even if there is something drastically wrong, they are generally not too bad to fix. (Although BMW and KTM owners might disagree with that statement)

Good luck and post pictures when you get one!
    HTH
    Cheers

camilla
    Participant

I agree with you Oldbeer, having had an ‘adventure’ over the Moleswroth on my Bandit with road tyres, in my leathers etc- I had no idea back then about adventure bikes, I just knew I wanted to get off the beaten track somehow and it was fantastic. A chance meeting with a tourist on the road led me to buy her Yamaha XT250 as she was leaving NZ and it was a great lightweight start to gravel and off road, easy to pick up handle. I’d recommend the lightweight to start with and keep trading in to match ability. Good luck Brook and keep us posted

Brook
    Participant

Thankyou Oldbeer and Camilla! I am based in New Plymouth and at this stage happy to get off the sealed road and explore some more backcountry roads, I have a 10yo daughter who is hell bent on coming with me pitching a tent for an overnight here and there. For me It’s not getting from a to b as quick as I can but more quality time and seeing more of our country from a different view. So nah I’m not fixated on 650 plus haha and I think you have both summed it up nicely in your welcome replies thank you!

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

Well you are in the right place for that Brook. Back of the ‘Naki has some of the best gravel in North Island, in my opinion. There are a few nice locals down there too if you wanted to hook up and get some pointers on where is best.

If you are riding gravel roads two up and carrying gear/luggage I would be tempted to add a 650 Vstrom to your list of potential bikes. They are plentiful second hand, always a few on trademe and pretty reliable. Even though your pillion is only 10 she will appreciate the very comfortable pillion seat. The bike has 200kg carrying capacity so you can take the kitchen sink with you if you want to. Ive toured most of those roads two up on mine and though the bike did very well. Once you pop out on the seal again, its a far better ride than the thumpers. They are a bit heavy (200kg+) but on those roads that shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers and happy riding. Just be very careful going up or down the north side of Kiwi Road……

Viewing 12 posts - 106 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.