Wellington and Wairarapa Training Day?

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Wellington and Wairarapa Training Day?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mario Gregor 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

billingtond
    Participant

A few riders have been asking about Big Adventure Bike Riding and taking the bigger bikes off road, I mean off road including gravel roads. For me it is not about speed anyone can fang along gravel roads at 100 Ks but is this bike control ? not sure. Anyways to the point, i am lucky enough to own a property and have access to plenty of off road stuff. So if anyone would like a slow speed technical day out under the umbrella of training give me a shout. It will be all about bike control therefore no high speed runs, but how to ride the big adventure bikes over technical terrain

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

That’s a great point. and a great offer, too bad I’m not in Wellington.
    Hope you have lot’s of fun.

Cheers
    Joao

Simon H
    Participant
    • Bike: Africa Twin

I’m up for that – let me know you are thinking. Will give me an excuse to swap my front TKC70 back to an 80 on my AT if it’s more than gravel.

Cheers
    Simon

Neil Stodart
    Participant

Hi Dave,

That sounds like a great idea and it’s excellent timing. I was thinking of getting in touch with you anyway to find out about some of the trails you ride in Wairarapa.
    I’m based in Wellington and keen to get together with you sometime.

Cheers,
    Neil
    021 2115395

billingtond
    Participant

Hi all been a few people showing interest thank you if you want to txt me feel free 021 711 887 cheers Dave

bassman
    Participant
    • Bike: Triumph Tiger XCx

Sounds like an excellent plan .Will watch for future developments and hopefully it will coincide with my shifts off work

billingtond
    Participant

Cool i float a few dates and let’s see what will happen.

Basic plan

Start off at my place out side Greytown with some slow speed handling stuff, not wanting to teach people to suck eggs but get the basic stuff right and it goes along way to making your riding enjoyable and safe. Depending what the group want i might run a few training trips from basic, intermediate to full on big bike fun stuff thank you to all for showing an interest next thing let’s make it happen

viferpilot
    Participant
    • Bike: 2014 BMW F800GS

If the planets align for me I’m definitely interested. Always interested to ID old, bad habits and replace ’em.

billingtond
    Participant

Hi all thank you for all the Wellington and Wairarapa
    riders for showing interest in the training/fun day given the response, i think it’s worth jacking some dates up to see who is available. The day will be about having some fun and hopefully learning from each other as i dare say there will be a broad
    range of experience. Any idea about what you would like to achieve from the day txt me 021 711 887. For a starter Basic handling technics such as slow speed manoeuvres, getting on and off the bike whilst in motion, small hill climbs and descents, riding over technical terrain, picking your bike up on tricky terrain. once we have done that move onto and area, short ride from my place, that will allow various styles of riding, from gravel, sand, river bed, water crossings, bank descent and climbs, to farm tracks, rutted tracks to full on bog holes/ bush tracks, if you wish to have a go at them. Some of the riverbed stuff can be easy to hard depending what you are comfortable with some snaps of the various riding terrain see the facebook page

Simon H
    Participant
    • Bike: Africa Twin

Sounds good.

I’m available next 2 weekends then away until August. Also free midweek depending on my schedule.

Cheers
    Simon

Mario Gregor
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R2100GS 2006

Hi I am certainly keen to join too. Usually have Sunday Monday off and from 7. 7. Will be based in Featherston. Yay just bought out first home. Haha.
    Would I need stumpy rear tire of tkc 70 is OK?
    Cheers

billingtond
    Participant

Good for you i am based in Greytown so welcome to the Wairarapa
    i posted something within next few days giving an outline of the day and level. A good stumpy rear tyre is never a disadvantage on an adventure bike

billingtond
    Participant

Hi all been a large number of keen adventure riders respond, given the feedback i think it may pay to do two separate days. Reason why, various wants and needs, therefore by splitting into two group it should be an enjoyable day for all.

For the bikes with road based tyres best we keep of the farm type tracks as you will be spending more time picking your bike up than riding it, we can still do the basic handling at my place albeit it will be on grass. From there we can focus on river bed, gravel roads and some sandy areas, it will still be challenging. Given that it will be a training day there will be a lot of repeat drills, but that is how we learn.

2nd Training day this will be for the bikes with a good rubber to tackle the slippery stuff, we will still start at my place however once the basic handling has been covered i ramp it up, trust me some might find the paddock test enough Lol. After that i can take the riders to a place with several tracks that range from good practice river bed riding, water crossings to full on technical stuff for the bigger bikes, parts of the track will be challenging, however that’s how we learn. i float some days within the next few days cheers Dave

Mario Gregor
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R2100GS 2006

Hi Dave, @billingtond
    sounds awesome, would TCK 70 do for the 2nd training day?

billingtond
    Participant

Parts of it will be fine with the TCK 70 on, however the farm track stuff you will struggle with those tyres. having said that you can bypass those circuits, all depends what you want from the day. If you are happy with the riverbed practice, with sand and gravel you will be fine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.