Wellington and Wairarapa Training Day?

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Wellington and Wairarapa Training Day?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mario Gregor 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

billingtond
    Participant

Hi all

Going to mark the 15 July as the first day of the basic stuff, already have three keen riders so space for another 2 to 3 bikes.

I pop a course plan up in the next few days, if you want to e mail me pls do [email protected]

billingtond
    Participant

Hi all we have the 15 July set aside for the training day.

overview of the day

Mainly for the bigger adventure bikes, Start at my place Greytown.

Slow speed control and approaching obstacles, from ruts, small banks, small climbs, water/creek crossings. this will take about 2 hours plenty of practice. You will be amazed what you might learn

After a tea or coffee head to an area that will have the following. Gravel, riverbed, stones and sand, water crossings with banks. For the more advanced riders rutted tracks and bog holes including steep climbs.

I all ready have three keen riders therefore two more at most. i will post this on facebook with some photos and a short video clip of the general area Cheers Dave

bassman
    Participant
    • Bike: Triumph Tiger XCx

Hi Dave sounds like a fantastic day you have planned out.Unfortunatly for me I have to work Saturdays so wont be able to make it .Hope it goes well Im sure it will

billingtond
    Participant

Hi all we have seven keen riders, pls can you e mail me on [email protected] i send you all the plan for the day cheers Dave

billingtond
    Participant

Training day 15 July hi all now at capacity sorry, depending on feedback about the day i will run another one. Stand by for the report and photos those that have e mail me and i have replied with the day’s details see you on 15.

Cheers

Dave

billingtond
    Participant

Hi All, apologies to all that have e mailed me that have not made the 15 July training day. It is at capacity.
    I have sent e mails to all and the ones in first have the 15 July slot.

If the day goes well and the riders think there is value in the day, I will run another one and depending on the feedback possibly a more advanced one.

The up and coming training day, will be a challenge for the biker bikes, however it will be a safe environment to learn in and more importantly fun.

I try to take a heap of photos, hopefully those on the training day will too, and draft a report for this site and the Facebook site.

Thanks to all the Adventure Riding NZ members for showing such a great interest.

Thanks

Dave

billingtond
    Participant

i checked the play area and it would be prudent to run the training on Sunday, reason being it’s like a swamp. Plus the river is running high, which will make river crossing practice more challenging.

Please can everyone reply to my e mail to let me know Sunday is OK. We can still do Saturday however some of the activities might be restricted and the day will be more challenging.

The training day is about learning, having fun, working as a team and more importantly putting you outside your comfort zone in a controlled environment, Sunday, looking at the forecast, will be a better day for that as the water levels would have dropped.

Kick off same time same location. I pop this on the website to to make sure everyone on the attending list gets the message.

If the team wants to roll with Saturday no issues

Regards

Dave

billingtond
    Participant

The training day went well, the weather was first class, The ground was still soaking and the paddock work presented a few challenges as wet grass and mud always does regardless of tyres. The creek crossings went well, well apart from my epic dump in it. As it turned out it covered one of our goals for the day bike recovery in an awkward place Lol.
    After a few hours of paddock work we headed to a local play area, which allowed plenty of practice on the river bed and water crossings. Amongst many other training items Neil Stodart did a great job of demonstrating a failed hill climb and recovery

Every rider brought a different skill and sharing the skills helped us all to learning something from each other. Thanks to Michael Hardy, Neil, Steve, Chris, Philip, and Mark for making the effort. A big hats off for giving it a go on the big bush pigs beyond the gravel roads. Apologies photos not the best, however i am sure the team will post a few more including the creek dump. Photos and hopefully extra video footage on the Facebook site

Mario Gregor
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R2100GS 2006

Oh damn, I can’t believe I MISSED IT!!!!!!!!
    SHOULD have been subscribed to this page. that is what buying a house gets me aaaarrrrggghhhh. No time to check the site.
    ;( So bummed damn it .

billingtond
    Participant

Plan to run another soon so keep your eye out also keep an eye on the facebook page easier to out the photos up there, plenty on the Sunday event

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

Hi @billingtond, thank you for organising these, I’m in Auckland so a bit hard to participate.
    Good to see the team around the country spreading the ADVNZ spirit.

Cheers

billingtond
    Participant

Wairarapa Beyond the Gravel Roads.

The training day was a success, great team of riders and the first time i had met them. Everyone slotted into the day well plus engaged with all the activities. It is not easy riding the bigger adventure bikes off the tar and gravel. It take practice, practice and more practice. During the practice sessions there were a few tumbles, another learning you will drop your bike at some stage if you are expanding your adventure bike horizons.

The team on the training day did a great job, pushing their limits outside their usual comfort zone and the reality of it is that is how we learn.

Here is the catch, once we have started to learn new skills they are perishable skills !! You need to get out and practice them. To do that in itself is a discipline as you need to put aside valuable weekend riding time for practice, not an easy balance. Do i head out with my mates for a day’s ride or do i find a quite area and spend 2 hours horning my new learnt skills? For me practice your new learnt skill because those skills will start to open up a whole new horizon of adventure riding in NZ. I plan to do a bit of polishing on the days training using the same team that attended the first pilot day, this will allow greater ideas from the team so the next time we jack a day up it will add some tangible training to the new riders who attend.

Any way enough waffle from me i posted a great video clip on FaceBook taken by Mark on the Wairarapa training day, as you will see the team was Beyond the Gravel.

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

Hi,

any chance to publish the video link here for us to have a look?

Cheers
    Joao

billingtond
    Participant

wass
    Participant
    • Bike: 16 HQV FE701

Looks very good, I would be keen on attending one as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.