No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Wellington/Wairarapa ride oops video

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gr82briding 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

So one of my workmates in Wellington went out with a bunch of Wellington/Wairarapa riders a few weeks ago, and it didn’t end well.

Michael J Breen
    Participant

Looks like he outrode himself Edward.

There were some ruts in thick gravel but nothing that wasn’t visible from some distance out. Methinks the front brake was applied as e got into the loose when he perhaps should have applied more power and pointed out instead. Tough to call from the distance of a video but that looks like it.

Looking further back a bit, he tucked the front wheel a few times too. I’m thinking he may be riding like a road rider and leaning into corners rather than staying upright and only leaning his bike in, not his body, whilst applying throttle to drive around.

Rob
    Participant
    • Bike: XRV 750

Looks like he outrode himself Edward.

I agree Michael, the biggest clue is at 7:06 in his confession. Fear will get you every time! Hope he is okay.

Andrew Thomson
    Participant
    • Bike: Super Tenere, Concours 14

This unfortunate incident was on one of our rides on Peep-o-day road. There was nothing too hard about the particular corner where it happened and the rider unfortunately bashed a few ribs in and needed an ambulance out. The rider is basically just returning to gravel riding and did have a more than one little scare prior to the incident.

A good reminder not to go too hard too soon…

More here: My Blog

Michael Eastwood
    Participant
    • Bike: CRF1000L

He rides like me lol constant state of recovery!

Nick Massey
    Participant
    • Bike: 1999 CBR600F (Hornet), 1989 NC30 VFR400, 1998 BMW F650ST

that was me fellas, you are all right in one way or another. I out rode myself, rode in the dirt like I would ride one pavement, on the wrong lines, wrong side of the road. sigh……….. its a perfect example to show others what NOT to do.

I am ok thanks for asking. Several broken ribs, torn chest lining, but nothing time wont heal.
    I have been riding for 20+ years, I started on dirt but I have not ridden anything off road in 15+ years and it certainly shows.

I will be back but try to be smart about it. Right equipment, right training, right attitude..I hope.

I am back riding to work now, this is my first week back. The Bike came off better than me, I only broke an indicator.

Thinking I could use some live hands on training to learn again what I have forgotten.

thanks for the inputs guys and thoughts.

I hope to see you all on the train some day

Regards

Nick

Nick Massey
    Participant

<cite>@Facebook – michael.eastwood1 said:</cite>
    He rides like me lol constant state of recovery!

thats exactly what it felt like, I knew I was coming off if I kept up the way I was going.

Honestly just between you and me (snicker) I should have turned around at that first break and gone home or met the guys at the lunch spot with me going via the roads.

Egos and bikes can be deadly and hurt………..a lot lol

Nick Massey
    Participant

<cite>@Facebook – Banditrider said:</cite>
    This unfortunate incident was on one of our rides on Peep-o-day road. There was nothing too hard about the particular corner where it happened and the rider unfortunately bashed a few ribs in and needed an ambulance out. The rider is basically just returning to gravel riding and did have a more than one little scare prior to the incident.

A good reminder not to go too hard too soon…

More here: My Blog

well said mate…

Michael Eastwood
    Participant
    • Bike: CRF1000L

Hey Nick, stick with it bro. Ask oneblackflag aka Sharn about his first ride. You just need to go at whatever pace you are enjoying yourself and never buckle to the pressure to catch up or keep up with your mates. I always ride at the back so I can amble along and avoid conflict with the terra firma. My riding mates always wait for me ahead.
    Surprised you did so much damage really? You a bit soft? lol (jokes)

Nick Massey
    Participant

<cite>@Facebook – michael.eastwood1 said:</cite>
    Hey Nick, stick with it bro. Ask oneblackflag aka Sharn about his first ride. You just need to go at whatever pace you are enjoying yourself and never buckle to the pressure to catch up or keep up with your mates. I always ride at the back so I can amble along and avoid conflict with the terra firma. My riding mates always wait for me ahead.
    Surprised you did so much damage really? You a bit soft? lol (jokes)

I am surprised about the damage as well, it seems I landed on a mound of dirt/grass. I have gone over this a million times in my head and one of them is why did I fall like that?
    Logic dictates you step off or push away, I dont know why I chose to hang on, but it was my downfall. I had both hands still on the bars and legs on the pegs which meant my rib cage was “open” to that little friggin mound in the dirt that smashed me in the side.
    We went back the next day after picking up the bike with at trailer and looked at it and you can see where my elbow (I think) dug in, and its just above a mound of dirt where my ribs would be.

but ya I was surprised too, Little soft? probably, I am almost 60 lol 😮

Nick Massey
    Participant

<cite>@nick_massey said:</cite>
    I am surprised about the damage as well, it seems I landed on a mound of dirt/grass. I have gone over this a million times in my head and one of them is why did I fall like that?
    Login dictates you step off or push away, I dont know why I chose to hang on, but it was my downfall. I had both hands still on the bars and legs on the pegs which meant my rib cage was “open” to that little friggin mound in the dirt that smashed me in the side.
    We went back the next day after picking up the bike with at trailer and looked at it and you can see where my elbow (I think) dug in, and its just above a mound of dirt where my ribs would be.

but ya I was surprised too, Little soft? probably, I am almost 60 lol 😮

you are absolutely right about pace, I did feel a bit of pressure but thats no excuse, I fucked up.
    Having said that, I really enjoyed the ride up until then 😀

Andrew Thomson
    Participant
    • Bike: Super Tenere, Concours 14

Great to hear you’re back on the bike Nick! Next BRR is this Sunday…

Gr82briding
    Participant

Hey Nick,

I’m more than happy to spend some time with you one on one to help with some pointers. Perhaps we can meet up for a ride and I can drop off the Sena mount at the same time.

Nick Massey
    Participant

<cite>@gr82briding said:</cite>
    Hey Nick,

I’m more than happy to spend some time with you one on one to help with some pointers. Perhaps we can meet up for a ride and I can drop off the Sena mount at the same time.

that would be wonderful mate, I will gladly accept any and all help, it would be great with the Sena’s to be able to communicate. I am more than happy to come up palmy way.

Gr82briding
    Participant

No worries Nick.

Flick me an email with some dates that suit and I’ll see what I can do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.