fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding All things GPS What3Words – dividing the world into 3 metre x 3 metre squares

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bigkuri 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster

What3Words.com takes a new look at defining locations by mapping the entire planet into 3 metre x 3 metre squares.

Each square has it’s own ‘address’ and according to their website ‘means anyone can accurately find any location and share it more quickly, easily and with less ambiguity than any other system.’

The service can be used via the free mobile app or online map. It can also be built into any other app, platform or website, with just a few lines of code.

Have a look at their website and see what you think, could it overtake Lat/Long co-ordinates in the modern age?

Latitude and Longtitude has logic to it in that the numbers represent something, I haven’t played with What3words enough to see if there is any logic to how the squares are named.

Daniel Fisher
    Participant

I can see this being much quicker and easier to remember/input addresses into a gps or phone. Just 3 words to remember or write down instead of an actual address or coordinates!

Lets say your out on a group ride, one guy gets lost, held up, stops, whatever. Now instead of you/him trying to describe where you are or an address over the phone you just have to say “Hey I’ve bailed at chop deplorable lagers come back for me!”

https://w3w.co/adventure.riding.rocks πŸ˜€

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Yeah it certainly works in that respect. It would require the GPS manufacturers or probably more importantly Google and/or Apple to pick up on it to take it mainstream and integrated into the apps people and especially emergency services use.

bigkuri
    Participant

It’s been around for a fair few years now. Never really caught on as if you have voice signal to share your location, then you pretty much always have data signal, so why just not share your actual location using a google maps link? Also as the words for locations are just random, without the App you are helpless – so again, if you have the App (and data signal in order to use the App) why not just use google maps… And as for the GPS companies, I know that a few GPS providers looked at it, but quickly decided that it was nonsense as they just needed a button called “share location” instead (I worked for ESRI back then – the worlds largest mapping software company).

The final nail in it’s coffin was that coordinate systems, while hard to remember numbers, actually MEAN something that a skilled person can work things out.

Emergency Services poo-pooed it almost instantly, as imagine a radio operator receiving “golf” vs “gulf” meaning they’d have to spell it out using phonetic alphabet, which would take AGES compared with numbers.

I am writing this while sitting HERE

Useless scheme πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.