No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Who's camped on the desert road?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  harrywatson 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

harrywatson
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Hey everyone, I wonder if anyone’s camped along or off the Desert road from Waiuru to Te Kanu? There are such tantalising tracks off the main road, especially on the last third of the road, travelling south to north.

There are some walking tracks. I wouldn’t go near those, (why walk when you can ride?). There is a sign if you are going north that says – ‘stick to the road or you might be blown to bits by some military training’. (not a direct quote).
    I’m interested in some ‘stealth camping’ as there are plenty of flat, sheltered, picturesque looking spots, well away from the road, tanks and guns. This will be my next adventure and I can let you know how it goes. If I get arrested by the military police I’ll let you know. I’ll take some photos though I’m not a vlogger. Any ideas would be great. I include a link to ‘Why we ride’, by adventure oz.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Try this spot on the right/East side of SH1, this is North of the military area. Take the center track and follow it back take you to the pylons and there’s a nice spot right where that track meets the pylon service track. There’s often Beehives near the start of the track.

Also Tree Truck Gorge road a bit further North of that has lots of tracks off it.

Kaimanawa Road leading to the Pillars Of Hercules has several doc sites.

harrywatson
    Participant

Great Thanks. Looks like The idea would be to get there in the morning and spend a day or two on and around the the desert road.

Jouni Karppinen
    Participant

Go past the DOC campsites on Kaimanawa road towards Rangipo powerstation and keep on looking for camping spots & small roads on left.
    It has several small one/two tent spots between the road and Tongariro river.

harrywatson
    Participant

Cheers, thanks for that. Don’t tell anyone about it. Maybe see you there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.