fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Yamaha Tenere 700 or Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin ?

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Yamaha Tenere 700 or Honda CRF1100L Africa Twin ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant

G’day everyone. I’m in the market for a new adventure bike. I was planning on purchasing a Tenere 700 until my better half said that she also wants to join me on a ride every so often. Now I’ve changed my planning more towards a 2021 Africa Twin. Now I know the bikes are different in engine size and the Tenere is a better off road machine. Purchase price is also different.

I have not ridden adventure bikes in NZ before, so would like a bit of feedback on which bike would suit my situation better.I have a on and off road background. I plan on doing trips through the North and South Island and will probably only have a pillion 15% of the time.

Cheers
    Tim

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

@timrum said:
    G’day everyone. I’m in the market for a new adventure bike. I was planning on purchasing a Tenere 700 until my better half said that she also wants to join me on a ride every so often. Now I’ve changed my planning more towards a 2021 Africa Twin. Now I know the bikes are different in engine size and the Tenere is a better off road machine. Purchase price is also different.

I have not ridden adventure bikes in NZ before, so would like a bit of feedback on which bike would suit my situation better.I have a on and off road background. I plan on doing trips through the North and South Island and will probably only have a pillion 15% of the time.

Cheers
    Tim

Welcome Tim

Does the better half get any input into rear seat comfort? as that sounds like the deciding factor. It sounds like you both might need to go to the shops and sit on both to make the call.

If it was just you I’d say the T7 given your riding background.

Tim
    Participant

Thanks Eddieb,
    I am test riding the AT tomorrow, so will let her sit on the back and tell me what she thinks.

Tim
    Participant

I took the KTM 890 Adventure R out for a test ride (road only) recently. I have test ridden the new Africa Twin and between the 2 I would take the AT over the 890 any day. The AT was a lot more comfortable for me. The 890 vibrated more and I found the wind was worse on it at +/- 100km/h. Not bad mouthing the 890, it is still a nice bit of gear. Just not for me. Now to find a Tenere 700 to test.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

We’re interested to hear your comparison of the T7 after that.

Tim
    Participant

I rode the a Tenere 700 demo yesterday. Phil’s Motorcycles in Matamata have one available to test ride. I can’t say enough about the great service I got from Phil.

For me it is close between the T7 and Africa Twin. Both have their positives and negatives and I would be happy to own ether. The T7 felt lighter with the skinnier seat and frame. The dash did vibrate badly at certain RPMs, but I understand there is a fix for it. I liked the simplicity of the bike. It pulls from low down in almost every gear.

I guess it’s decision time now…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.