Yamaha T7, new FZ-7/MT-07 based adventure bike?

Forums Forums Bikes Yamaha Yamaha T7, new FZ-7/MT-07 based adventure bike?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Claasen 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Keith Fenwick
    Participant

I might be tempted myself. I want to go riding in the South Island next year and this might be the beast to do it on

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Spy shots have emerged of the T7 in road testing, however the bodywork is shrouded so it is hidden.

Motorcyclenews.com make a pile of speculation of the T7 based on the pics that you can read about here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/july/spy-shots-yamaha-mt07-adventure-bike/.

Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike: 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

It looks reasonably light and with that engine its going to be a corker, Maybe a KLR replacement ?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

We’ll wait and see but so far I’m not convinced. It’s a lot bigger than I expected.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Before Yamaha based it’s MT series model names on the motors capacity the MT03 which is now powered by a 320cc parallel twin was actually a single cylinder 660 model which used the 660 Tenere motor.

Personally I think this is the sort of thing I would like to see manufacturers put a small-mid range twin into like the 685/655 in LAMS spec Yamaha parallel twin. A no frills back to basics setup with a light stock weight that can be customised to suit the owner.

Unfortunately this exact design probably wouldn’t work with a twin due to the rear short mounting location but I’m sure the manufacturers could come up with some good designs.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250

Sub 600cc twin for me. Cheaper rego and enough get up n go to be fun.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The new T7 is highly likely to appear in one of the upcoming international motorcycle shows, probably at the EICMA which starts next Tuesday.

I’m a little concerned Yamaha has taken the small twin motor of the MT-07 and put it into a bike that’s everything the MT-07 is not.

The MT-07 is physically a small bike and 180kg fully wet. I’ve seen pics of the T7 which looked like most riders would need a step ladder to get onto it, and it doesn’t look like a light bike. We will soon see however I guess. I’d be very happy to be proved wrong.

How tall is Stéphane Peterhansel?

concept bike Yamaha T7

Présentation dynamique du concept bike #Yamaha T7 par notre ambassadeur Stéphane Peterhansel !

Posted by Yamaha Motor on Tuesday, 20 June 2017

Karahee
    Participant
    • Bike: 2008 KTM 990 Adventure

Google says that he is 174cm tall. If the production bike is going to be tall as the concept, it would be too much for most riders.
    Judging from spy photos above, it looks like the production bike will be lower. I share your concerns Eddie about it not being light bike.
    But I’m still holding off from upgrading bike until we know more details…

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So the T7 concept is still a concept, but it has also spawned a ‘Tenere 700’ prototype called the Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid.

The Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid uses a steel cradle frame and Yamaha states ‘Featuring the rugged rally-inspired character of the original T7 concept bike, and developed using the information gained from intensive testing of the T7 during 2017, this lightweight adventure bike is unlike anything else on offer in the market place.’.

Most of the bodywork on the Yamaha Tenere 700 World Raid is carbon fibre with 4 small LED lights in the Dakar rally styled front fairing, combined with a Akropovic exhaust and Brembo brakes this bike has the goods to make a serious lightweight machine.

Over the next year a group of Yamaha test riders will take the Tenere 700 World Raid on a challenging world circumnavigation which will enable fans in America, Australia, Africa and Europe to see, feel and hear the future of adventure riding’.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike: 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

Its going to be a close call for my money on this one

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.