fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Zero FX review on stuff.co.nz with comments about NZ availability

Home Forums Bikes Electric Motorcycles Zero FX review on stuff.co.nz with comments about NZ availability

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Zero makes electric motorcycles that are sleek, silent, superfast street machines.

But even though one model is advertised as a dual sport, they don’t do very well off-road — until they’re outfitted with a chain drive and some knobby tyres.

I’ve been after Zero for some time to set me up with one. I recently got the chance to spin around off the pavement on a specially outfitted Zero FX.

Like all Zeros, the battery-electric power train is torquey and tons of fun. The rocket-ship acceleration is sudden, silent and intense. The FX zipped through traffic like a stealth fighter.

But how would the FX do off-road? I had lower expectations. The model I had borrowed was the 6.5, equipped with a pair of electric batteries. While this gives the FX a city streets range of more than 128 kilometres, and an advertised 44 horsepower and 95 newton metres of torque, the bike weighs a cumbersome 130 kilograms.

Once I left the pavement, though, I was surprised. Despite the extra weight, the FX handled beautifully.

It skittered along a dirt road, the front end lofting over the puddles and ditches. It plowed through some tall grass, and got over a couple of hidden potholes. It even navigated down a steep grassy hillside, negotiated a tight turn at the bottom, and then climbed back up — in total silence, with only the whir of the chain and the sound of tyres on the wet ground disturbing the afternoon quiet.

I confess that I’m an old dirt bike guy, with decades of experience riding two-strokes and four-strokes in the desert. No one loves the “braap-braap” sound of a petrol-powered desert sled more than me.

But there’s something really sublime about tracking up a trail in total silence. It’s a great way to see some nature, without frightening the wildlife.

It’s also a great way to avoid irritating the neighbours if you’re riding off-road where you shouldn’t be. Because the bike isn’t roaring, rattling and smoking, it doesn’t offend the natives. On one of my trails, I even passed some hikers and trail walkers, and all they said to me was, “Cool bike.”

I don’t know if the sneaky silence overcomes the limited range — somewhere between 65 and 112 kilometres, depending on how you ride it and how big a battery you get — or the price point — about US$7000 to US$9000 (NZ$10,100 to NZ$13,000) in California, after electric vehicle incentives and rebates.

You can have the FX customised with a chain drive and knobby tyres by a shop for an additional US$500.

And I can’t imagine this kind of bike, with that kind of range, replacing any of the dirt bikes I ride in the desert or the dual sports I take into the mountains.

But for zipping around town, and a little urban off-road adventuring, it sure is some sneaky silent fun.

Zero Motorcycles do not currently have a distribution partner in New Zealand but are hoping that will change in the near future.

Melbourne-based Phillip Wilkinson, Zero’s director of sales for the Asia-Pacific region, said there had been a strong level of interest in a distribution partner for New Zealand.

“For now, there is unfortunately no mechanism for NZ based customers to purchase a Zero, although we do what this to change in the near future.” He added that anyone could register their interest by visiting their website and signing up for a newsletter.

Wilkinson adds that a 9.8kwh Zero machine can charge in 6.8 hours by using the onboard charger on a domestic/household connection. That can be supplemented with an “accessory charger” which, when used in parallel with the standard charger, will reduce the 0-100 per cent charge time to around four hours.

From: http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/78970317/Taking-the-electric-Zero-FX-off-road-is-sneaky-silent-fun

Attachments:
    granteuk
    Participant

who is the author of the article ?

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

A CHARLES FLEMING, whys that?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.