No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes Electric Motorcycles Zero Motorcycles announce range overhaul for 2017

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael J Breen 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Highlights include more torque than any 1000cc sportsbike, a five-year unlimited mileage battery warranty and a range of up to 200 miles

Zero Motorcycles have announced a completely refreshed range for 2017, claiming up to 19% more torque, up to 11% more power and the longest range production electric motorcycle. The majority of the advancement comes from Zero’s Z-Force powertrain, which includes a new permanent magnet motor with an increased temperature threshold and higher amperage motor controllers. What does all that mean? Up to 108lbft of instant torque – more than any petrol-powered litre sportsbike on the market.

Prepare to energise
    The new 2017 model range is a little complicated to get your head around – so stick with us. There’s the Zero S and SR, which are the more streetfighter-esque models. The S is available in three catchily-named configurations (take a breath): the S ZF6.5 11kW, the S ZF13.0 11kW and the S ZF13.0. The S ZF6.5 11kW is the entry level model, priced at £11,890. It’s fitted with a smaller battery pack, saving 43kg (at the cost of range), and has an 11kW power limit – which makes it A1 licence friendly. In a smart move, Zero have engineered the bike so that the space saved by the smaller battery doubles up as an additional storage compartment.

The S ZF13.0 11kW is pretty much the same but with a larger battery, while the S ZF13.0 has a larger battery and access to the full 40kW, which – thanks to a funny licencing loophole – is legal for A2 licence holders. Both S ZF13.0 models cost £14,990. Joining the S is the SR ZF13.0, sharing the same battery size as the standard S but with more torque (106lbft up from 67.8lbft) and more power (50kW up from 40kW). The SR is slightly pricier at £16,990.

Sitting alongside the S is the DS, which is the adventure styled model that is fitted with a high front mudguard and dual-sport tyres. The DS follows the same power/pricing convention as the S, so there’s a lower powered model, the standard model and the more powerful DSR. Unlike the S however there’s no 11kW version with the larger ZF13.0 battery.

Still with us? Finally comes the FX, which is like an electric dirt bike, and the FXS is the supermoto variant. Unlike the other models, the FX and FXS have a new integrated battery to save weight. The integrated battery also reduces the cost, as both models are priced at £11,390.

Going the distance
    One of the big areas of resistance to electric motorcycles is the range, which is why Zero have introduced an optional Power Tank (£2,820), which increases the range from 85 to 104 miles. Why so low? Well Zero were at pains to point out that a recent EU directive has required them to alter their mileage estimates in-line with a new (harder) test, so while they used to claim 108 miles of mixed riding for a standard S ZF13.0 they can now only claim 85 miles. Zero say their estimates are more representative of realistic riding, but make of that what you will.

Regardless of the distance you can go in one charge, one thing Zero is keen for you to do is rack up the miles so all 2017 models will come with a five-year, unlimited mileage warranty on the battery. You don’t even have to top up the oil…

Belt and braces
    All Zero Motorcycles use a belt drive and for 2017 the new models will receive a wider, stronger upgraded carbon fibre model. The Zero S, SR, DS and DSR models all now feature a lockable weather-resistant storage compartment in the ‘tank’ area too. Zero says this is big enough to stow gloves, sunglasses and a mobile phone but is no use for petrol, obviously.

Other new features for 2017 include an app that allows owners to customise the bike’s performance characteristics such as maximum torque, maximum speed and regenerative braking plus some practical features such as the ability to update the bike’s firmware, see the charge status and energy consumption.

That’s not all the changes either – for 2017 if you buy a Zero they’ll even paint it for you. Previous models had the colour moulded into the plastic but going forward the S, SR, DS and DSR models will all have a long-lasting paint finish.

The 2017 Zero range will be in UK dealers by mid-November.

From: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/november/zero-motorcycles-range-overhaul-for-2017-eicma-milan/

Christian Moore

Edward Brodie

Yep

Christian Moore

Post it ?

James Riley

I want… But they still need to work on the range. 200km and I can do my full commute with a little bit to spare.

James Riley

If you were comuting 600km+ per week the return on investment is not too bad. But yes there should be some encouragement to increase the ev fleet. Like vastly reduced import taxes.

Tim Meh

Would be great to have something like the tax rebates/subsidies they have in the states for them (in some states you get a state subsidy on top of the federal one). Uptake of EV’s need to be encouraged somehow…

Tim Meh

Would be great to have something like the tax rebates/subsidies they have in the states for them (in some states you get a state subsidy on top of the federal one). Uptake of EV’s need to be encouraged somehow…

Michael J Breen
    Participant

I love the idea and would buy one tomorrow BUT for range. My typical ride is 500km a day and up to 800km.

Taking the 207kg ZERO DS ZF13.0 +POWER TANK as my staring point (You nknow I’m a weight weenie and don’t like the idea of dragging around over 200kg!): the claimed range is ‘up to’ 290km before it needs a charge. That’s OK, I’d usually take a break to fill up and have lunch by then anyway.
    OK: so I’ve ridden almost 300km but I have at least 200km to go and up to 500km to go on a long ride.
    Their advertising says that I get about 75km for an hours charge. This is where it starts to get harder.
    If I can sit around for 2 hours before I head off again, I might, just might get a full charge onboard again for another 300km. However, that’s only if there’s a ‘Level 2’ charging station nearby where I have to stop (doesn’t sound much like back blocks NZ). Still, If I do manage to find that charge station; I’m gonna get close to Wellington but not quite there from Auckland. I;ll have to stop at Levin to fill up again so there’s another hour plus sitting around. So far then, on a trip to Wellington, at the very best and most optimistic range claims; I might just get to Wellington in a day if I stick to tar seal and ride conservatively. That’s a trip that will take about 90-120 minutes longer than it would normally take me: I might be able to live with that but with all the hills etc in the way: I’m doubtful about those range claims.
    When I go by gravel, 4WD track and tarseal mixed however; my situation becomes dire. Not only am I a long way from any idea of ‘Level 2’ charging stations, my energy consumption has increased by 30-50%. In this situation; I just cant see it happening and I’m thinking “no thanks, I’ll wait for a hydrogen/electric bike that weighs a lot less and can go the distance.

Mike Breen

I’m not put off by the price but I can’t live with the range and they’re not even close to the range I need. My rides are enjoyment only; not commuter. These are 300-750km per day. At the bottom end, with a top up at lunch time; it might work. However, that means I still have to have a petrol bike for all those 500-800km rides or the energy sucking gravel/trail rides. The charging is quite fast if we had the infrastructure (we don’t) at almost 80km per hour of charging. However, out in the back of beyond, it seems unlikely we’d find a fast charge point any time soon. Lastly; you all know I’m a weight nazi. I don’t mind 200kg plus on the road but it’s a turn off for trail/gravel as far as I’m concerned. The ZERO DS ZF13.0 +POWER TANK is the one with that kind of range and it’s a reasonable tourer but the lighter ZERO FX ZF6.5 at 130kg has bugger all range at 132km max. Remember, on an adventure ride I’ll be carrying my own incredible bulk plus maybe 20kg of luggage so already that 132km range is probably down to 100km!. Even if it fully charged in an hour that’s just not enough!. I’d need 250km to get through the Molesworth or play on the gravel south of Port Waikato.

Mike Breen

I reckon hdrogen electric solves the range issue as there’s o need to charge it; just fill up the H tank. Hang on, there’s no H pumps in NZ……………………

Mike Breen

or maybe just extract the hydrogen from water. I’d like to know more about this and perhaps start a project. 500km range from a litre of water with no nasty emissions seems pretty cool from here: http://www.euronews.com/2016/02/09/water-powered-motorbike-brainchild-of-brazilian-civil-servant

Michael J Breen

according to scientists, a small hydrogen converter just doesn’t make enough hydrogen to power a car on water alone (burning it in the motor). Additionally, this process needs a fair amount of electricity to create the process and the laws of conservation of energy suggest it’s an impossibility. We’ve seen these inventions may times over the year but who has seen a car running on water alone? These guys however, reckon their hydrogen generator can create enough hydrogen to reduce fuel consumption in your diesel or petrol vehicle by 30-50%. https://www.hho-1.com/product/hho-hydrogen-generator-car-kit/

Michael J Breen

and here’s why water alone is nonsense: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3428/4271579/

Michael J Breen

Now this is what I’m waiting for (when hydrogen stations are available). 100kw power (about 140HP) and with 20l of hydrogen onboard powering the process. http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/02/24/hydromagnificence-on-two-wheels/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.